Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 PM

Granny, Sorry I missed your post last month but I do not know of any tram that operates in Rhodes (of course I do not know everything). Rhodes Town (both old and new) is made for walking and there are plenty of cafes where you can rest your tired feet after shopping. As to the rest of the island we have always rented a car or used the public bus when we went directly to a beach. Now, these darn comments about Paella need to stop. We are leaving for Europe in 2 days and I am still trying to lose weight! By the way, the best Paella we ever had was in a dumpy little stand on a beach in Nerha. They had a large grill (it was huge) and they cooked their Paella on the beach all morning and sold it at lunch. The wonderful smell still haunts me.

Hank
Old 04-30-2007, 01:12 PM

Hank,

We are a family of 7, 2 children 10 and 8 years on out first 12 day cruise to the Mediterranean on Celibrity Millennium July 24th/07.
I am finding out that the tours on shore are very expensive for a group so was wondering if you had suggesstiohs for the ports of Livorno,Civitavecchia and Athens.
Wondered if it is possible to take a train, take a taxi to the trains, will it be too confusing with a larger group?
Also 3 of us have been to Rome and Florence and I have been looking to see if there are other places we could go for the day!
Would appreciate any help you could give me!

Thanks
Sharon
Old 05-19-2007, 03:06 PM

Hank I noticed you said you were famaliar with the port of Villefrance. I am a first time cruise traveling with 8 adults and we would like to get to see Monaco and Eze but we only have one day in port. Could you give us some suggestions on how best to get to see the most ina such a short period? Would it be best to schedule a ship or private tour or just train it? Any help will be appreciated . We are going to be there June 17,2007 on the RCCL Voyager of the Seas....Thanks, Andrew
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM

We used www.sunnydays.fr while we were in port last fall and they were excellent. I booked 3 vans for our group of 22, and we split off with one going to Eze and St. Paul de Vence and the other two going to Eze and Monte Carlo. We all had a wonderful experience.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:36 AM

I appologize to be so slow in responding, but we recently returned from a 5 week trip (Europe). Let's try and help Sharon first since we are very supportive of those that show their children the world. A group of 7 actually increases your options because there are economies of scale if you elect to hire a private guide/driver. Unfortunately, I am totally useless (my wife tells me this everyday) when it comes to private guides because we have never done this except for one instance in St Petersburg. But, if you do not want to go to Florence (from Livorno) the easiest (and cheapest) alternative is to take the train from Livorno to Pisa...than change and take the train to Lucca. You can walk from the Lucca station into town (its just across the road) and enjoy that wonderful walled city. The kids would probably get a kick out of renting bikes and riding around the top of the city walls (a common thing to do and very safe). On the way back you could stop in Pisa and either walk (its about a mile) or take a couple of taxis over to the Duomo to see the Leaning Tower. As to alternatives from "Civ" this is difficult. There is the Rome beach resort of Lido di Ostia, but honestly I find that most mainland European beaches pale when compared to US Beaches. Rome is a very large city with so much to do and see (we have been there 5 times) and it can be a fun educational stop for kids. The fact that 3 of you have been to Rome does not mean you couldn't enjoy the city again and perhaps see some new places. Why not let the kids read-up on the city and see if they have any suggestions? The other places within range of a one-day trip from Civ would require a car (in your case a large van) for a drive to some smaller towns such as Orvieto (a nice hilltop town). Athens is another great port with kids and if you can keep everyone in tow, you can take the subway from Pireaus into Athens and go off on your own. This is another of those places where you might benefit from hiring a private driver/guide who can provide a van large enough for your group. As to finding decent guides, this can be a challenge, but you always have Google and there is another cruise forum site (it would not be proper for me to mention other site names here) where the guide subject is often a topic.

Andrew, like I said to Sharon, you also have economies of scale and might want to explore the availability of private guides who can provide a large van. Otherwise, there is no reason for you not to simply do things just like 4 seperate couples (you can still stay together). From Villafranche you can either use the local buses or local train line that spans the entire Riviera from Cannes to Monte Carlo. Its very easy to walk from the tender pier to the train station (walk along the road with the water on your right until you see the steps that lead up the hill to the station) and grab a train into Monte Carlo. From the Monte Carlo station you will either want to hire taxis (you would need 2) or use the local buses to get up to the Palace. From there, assuming you can all walk distances, you can work your way back down the hill and into town. Eze presents a slightly more difficult challenge since its not right on the train line. There are local buses that can get you to Eze (or Monte Carlo) and although I know many of the bus routes (bus 100 from Villafrache to Eze Bord du Mer and than bus 83 up to the village) its a bit complicated and the frequency of bus schedules can leave you sitting for long periods of time. So, my advice would be to go to Monte Carlo on the train and than stop at one of the tourist offices to get the latest info on bus/train schedules. A very common way to get to Eze is to simply take the train (its the same train that goes from Villafranche to Monte Carlo) and get off at the Eze (Bord) du Mer station which lies below the village of Eze. From the road right in front of that little train station (Eze de Mer) you can get the bus (#83) that will take you up the steep hill to Eze. However, that bus used to take a long break at lunch time (used to not run for 90 minutes) so this is why I suggest you check with one of the many tourist offices (they have the big I) in Monte Carlo or even at Villafrance regarding schedules. By the way, the same train line also stops in Nice and Nice is really nice..especially Old Town and walking along the Promonade. However, I again urge you to check out private tour possibilities since when splitting the cost 8 ways it can be a great deal.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
aix, cab, costa, cruise, easy, en, eze, nice, port, provence, sardinia, smeralda, taxi, transfer, villafranche