Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Katakolon to Olympia (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/23675-katakolon-olympia.html)

Bob n Kerri 01-14-2008 07:04 PM

Hello, we are heading here on Costa in Feb. 08 and want to get from Katakolon to Olympia and back on our own. The train sch. does not work for us. Does anyone know the price & availability of taxis/shuttles or rental cars? Is an international driver license required to rent a car? Thanks.

drlivingston 01-21-2008 07:09 AM

Hi, Bob n Kerri... Welcome to Cruise Chat!! I could bore you with lots of details but visit this website and it will answer many of your questions. Again, welcome. driving in italy

Hank 01-21-2008 10:13 PM

Hmmm. Not sure what that web site has to do with driving in Greece, but always learning new things. It used to be impossible to rent a car in Katokolon, but last year I heard somewhere that there is now a small local car rental company in that fishing village. However, I do not recall the name. So, you might want to try some google research and I will also check some other sources (no promises). As to taxis, they are limited and of course its first come first serve. If we can't find the rental car dealer you might want to consider the ship's tour...as much as I hate any ship's tour.

Hank

Hank 01-21-2008 10:32 PM

I did a little research and found out some recent info. Keep in mind that I have not personally used these sources, but the info should be reliable. There are still no major car rental agencies in Katakolon, but there are some local companies. You can try to contact Sakis Diplas or his son Chris (they apparently own a local agency) at diplas@katakolo/gr . If that e-mail does not work than you can try calling from the USA by dialing 011 30 693 245 2648.

Another source suggest you call Dionysius at rentalcarkatakolon.gr by dialing 011 30 2621 041 727. I am told this agency is opposite the dock and only costs about $75 per day. I would try them first.

Another option is to arrange for a taxi in advance. Some have had good luck with gerogetaxi@panafonet.gr
George should quote you a price to pick you up at the port and take you to Olympia and back (or anywhere else).

I have personally driven in Greece and on the Pelopnese and never had any major problems. But keep in mind that you want to have a decent map or very good directions. The biggest problem is that in some areas all the road signs are written in the Greek alphabet....while some other areas also have English alphabet signs.

Best of luck. Its sure worth a few dollars to make the phone calls.

Hank

Leoville 01-25-2008 01:33 AM

Hello - Here is a link for the train and bus service from the port to and from Olympia. Not sure if the times work for you.

www.olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html

BRIDGET757 01-25-2008 09:26 AM

Hi, in 2005 we took a taxi from the dock to the ancient Olympic site. Although Princess had said taxis were difficult to get, there were plenty at the port. The first few taxis quoted about $75 to take us to the site, leave us for about an hour and drive us back. We didn't take this offer and walked further on. By the time we'd reached the end of the line it had come down to $50-55 (can't remember exactly) so we made the trip with a very nice driver who spoke some English. He made it an interesting trip telling us about his family and what life was like for him. We were pleased we decided to "go it alone". Good luck.

drlivingston 01-28-2008 10:00 AM

OOPS.... I just realized that I responded to the wrong thread! Thank you, Hank for catching my blunder. That would have been one heck of a drive! http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...on_redface.gif (it's the closest emoticon that I could find to indicate blushing)

Hank 01-28-2008 04:42 PM

YW Dr L. I actually enjoy your posts and the suggestion you made on going to Croatia from Venice (different post) really got my attention!

Hank