Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 06:27 AM

Two of our ports on our Med cruise this May are in Turkey: Istanbul & Izmir.

We're trying to decide if we should order some Turkish Lira before leaving, since we've been told you can't exchange US$ or Euros for Liras on the ship (Carnival Freedom). No knowing exactly where we will be able to exchange, we thought MAYBE it would be better to have the necessary cash in Liras before we go....but, how much would we need?

We are taking a private excursion with fellow cruisers in Istanbul, which is to be paid in cash, so we know that amount...but if we want to do a little shopping in the Grand Bazaar, we don't know the approximate cost of things. And how about drinks, food or snacks?

Has anyone been to Turkey...that can share a little inside info on what things cost there?
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM

I called the Turkey tourist board in the U.S. They told me the stores will take Euros or Dollars. The exchange rate might not be as good however.
Phone numbers:
New York 877.367.8875 or 212.949.0160
Las Angelos 323.655.8832
Old 02-28-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonnied:
I called the Turkey tourist board in the U.S. They told me the stores will take Euros or Dollars. The exchange rate might not be as good however.
Phone numbers:
New York 877.367.8875 or 212.949.0160
Las Angelos 323.655.8832
What an excellent resource, bonnied! Thanks!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM

<>

Well, my wife is a shopper and when we go to the Grand Bazaar I end up like a pack mule. The prices are great, the product selection unbelievable and the overall experience simply wonderful. Istanbul is very sophisticated and very friendly to Americans. Dollars are accepted everywhere (but euro is preferred) and English is widely spoken. Istanbul will easily become one of your favorite places to visit.

Tom
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ogg:
Well, my wife is a shopper and when we go to the Grand Bazaar I end up like a pack mule. The prices are great, the product selection unbelievable and the overall experience simply wonderful. Istanbul is very sophisticated and very friendly to Americans. Dollars are accepted everywhere (but euro is preferred) and English is widely spoken. Istanbul will easily become one of your favorite places to visit.

Tom
Well, I love hearing things like that!!!

If they prefer Euros...do you think that it would wind up cheaper using Euros (once one figures the rate of exchange) than US dollars?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM

Terri R.,
When we visited Turkey a few years ago the exchange rate was printed in a daily english print newspaper. We found that most of the shops had the paper and would gladly show us the exchange rate. We never had any problem with US $ and of course credit cards are widely accepted. Have a great trip Istanbul great.
Enjoy Life
Caseyg

Caseyg

Closed Thread

Tags
bazaar, cost, cruise, dollars, grand, istanbul, order, ships, things, travel, turkey, turkish