Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 06:24 AM

I just came back from my med cruise, and I had the time of my life. This trip was wonderful in every way. I would like to thank Tom Oggs, first to make us believe that we could do all the ports on our own, and also for providing all the great info on how to do it. We chose to do the ports on our own, not only for economical reasons, but also to try to get a feeling of the town we were in. We did not want a ship tour, nor a private tour. We did'nt want to be in a car, and get out to see a monument and jump back in the car to see the next thing. Of course, we know that we did'nt see everything, we didn't get all the explanations that a tour guide provides, but I'm sure we got something that others didn't get. One of my fondest memory in a walk in Naples on a Saturday evening in a local market. It was like a dream.
Once again, thank you Tom and all the others who helped me make my vacations a dream come true.
Jan
Old 10-10-2006, 07:48 AM

Hi janobu,
I am glad that you had such a wonderful cruise in the med. I am happy that you loved Naples and your walk through the city. Naples is a wonderful town and better to explore allone than with a group. How about your other experiences?
Regards
Uwe
Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 AM

Hi Uwe, all our experiences were fantastic. We took the train in Villefranche to go to Nice, than the bus to Eze, which we loved. We also took the train in Florence and enjoyed that day as well. In Naples, we first went to Capri and Sorrento (following your good advice!) and, by the time we got back to Naples, we were exhausted. We almost skipped the walk through the city, but we decided to go and as I said it was surreal. In Dubrovnik, we walked the wall and in Corfu, we just wandered arround. My favourite has to be Venice. It is nothing like you've ever seen before. Of course, Rome was superb, my only regret is that time went by too fast. In every town we went, we made sure we ate a good meal, trying to avoid the tourist menu.
I loved cruising the med, and being from italian origins, we loved Italy and we are already planning on going back, but this time on a ground vacation, not organised. After seing how easy it is to travel, we will plan our vacation, and go on our own.

Once again, thank you for all the great info you give on this site.
Jan
Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Thank you, Jan, for the compliments. The more cruisers like you have advantage from the tipps we can give here in the forum, the more we have fun to give our advices.
Whenever you need more informations, please ask.
I am sure, here in the forum are a lot of experienced members.
Have a nice time
Uwe
Old 10-11-2006, 05:19 PM

We go in 16 days and are very excited too. We have all of Tom's info and others printed off and ready. How did you like Eze? We are going to rent a car in Nice and head up and out from there. Did you find the bus easy to use and was it on time? Any info would be great.

Sheila
Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 AM

Hi Sheila,

We took the train to Nice. That's not a very long ride. Be prepared to buy your ticket from a machine that only takes coins (no paper money). We didn't have enough change so we had to run on the other side of the tracks (under the tunnel) where there was a counter. We had a plan of Nice, so we know where the bus station was. The train was on time and was very easy to use. Eze is very nice. We were there for about 2 hours. We took the trail back. There was not a lot of people doing that. It took us almost one hour and the walk is not that easy. You need good shoes, but the view is spectacular. Once we were at sea level, we took the train back to Villefranche. The ticket machine was broken, so we got on the train with no ticket. It was only one or two stops, and other people had no ticket either. I have to tell you that we are French Canadians, so we had no problem asking for directions.
Hope that helps you.
Jan
Old 10-12-2006, 04:23 PM

Jan,
Thank you so much.

Sheila
Old 10-15-2006, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words about your experience with the "on your own" reviews. I will be writing more for sure. I am glad you had a great cruise.

Tom
Old 10-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Hello all.. I was with Jan on the cruise (I am her sister) and I also want to thank you for the infos that you kindly put for everyone to use. It is a lot of work on your part but you make traveling easy for a lot of people.
Thank you very much.

Louise

Closed Thread