Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2007, 01:14 PM

Once on the island how easy is it to get to Anacapri? I would like to do the chairlift up Monte Solaro. Has anyone ever done this on a day trip?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:36 PM

Have done it many times from both cruises and when we have stayed along the Amalfi Coast. Personally, we consider the chairlift a better experience than the Blue Grotto. If you are planning to go to Capri from Naples, than its very easy to do on your own. You can walk from the ship to the ferry pier (less than 10 minutes), and than you take the jetboat/hydrofoil to Capri (about 50 minutes each way). Once you arrive on Capri (the ferry drops you at Marina Grande which is just below the town of Capri) and than you take the funicular up to the city. You can walk from the Funicular over to the small bus stop (its right in the middle of town) where you can catch the local bus up the hill to Anacapri (its about 10 minutes) or you could alternatively catch a taxi. From the bus stop at Anacapri (its a very small village) you will see the chair lift just across the road. It takes about 20 minutes on the chair lift (each way) and keep in mind that they are single chairs where your feet get to dangle over the countryside. Its a great ride as long as you do not have a great fear of heights. At the top, you get a fantastic view and there is a small snack bar/restaurant where you can relax as you enjoy the scenery. Hope this info helps.

Hank
Old 10-04-2007, 01:28 AM

Thanks Hank. You have been very helpful.

Still unsure whether to do Capri or Sorrento for a day trip. Don't want to do both and feel rushed.

Chairlift does look a bit scary!!!! Not sure I could keep my eyes open!!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:17 AM

Kentishgirl,
My husband and I are are sailing on Star Princess October 28 from Rome. Are you on that cruise? We have similar questions about the ports.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:07 AM

That chairlift is a lot of fun and you really get a good perspective on the island since you soar over little homes, gardens, hiking trails, etc. IMHO there is no comparison between a day in Sorrento or Capri. Capri wins hands down. However, if you really have your heart set on seeing both places its quite easy. You take the train (Cicumvesuviania Line) from Naples to Sorrento and spend a couple of hours walking around the city. You than take the ferry from Sorrento over to Capri (about 20 min ride), spend your time on Capri, and than take the jetboat from Capri back to Naples (about 50 minute ride). Personally, we would opt to just spend the entire day on Capri, but we have been to the region many times and tend to spend more time in fewer places as opposed to trying to see too much (which usually means you miss more than you see). We really love traveling in Italy and Europe, but the darn dollar is sure making it expensive. Hard to believe that a Euro used to cost about 89 cents, and now its runs about $1.45 (that is the real cost to us retail customers).

Hank

Hank
Old 10-04-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WanderingWench:
Kentishgirl,
My husband and I are are sailing on Star Princess October 28 from Rome. Are you on that cruise? We have similar questions about the ports.
Hi, I am sailing on the Voyager of the Seas leaving Barcelona on 27th October.

Closed Thread