Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 03:08 PM

Hello,

My wife and I are travelling on a cruise, and one of the stops along the way is La Havre (with bus connections to Paris). I was wondering about taking a train from La Havre to France (I know it's possible, as I checked on the Eurorail.com website, but the prices seem really high!). Our ship arrives in port around 7AM, but the bus from the cruise line doesn't leave until 9AM. I was hoping to take a train from the port (not sure how far it is from the port to the train station??), and get to Paris sooner, rather than later!!

I've been to Civitavechia, and the price (return from the port to main train station) is only 9 Euros per person, but the quotes that I've received so far from La Havre to Paris is for 64 Euros each way per person, or 128 Euros per person return. Seems really expensive compared to the 9 Euros return from Civitivechia to Rome (granted, it's an extra hour from La Havre to Paris).

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks, and happy cruising to everyone.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:25 AM

Hello,

as you are Canadian I truely hope that you have some French language knowledge.

You should visit the website of SNCF (French National Railways).

If you make advance booking one should not more than 15-25 EUR/person and one way. Price varies to occupation of train.

So check your schedule and your price yourself and book as early as possible to get the cheapest tickets!

Regards,
HeinBloed
Old 08-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Unfortunately, the French railroad (SNCF) does not subsidize their fares nearly as much as the Italians. The current roundtrip fare from LeHavre to Paris StLazare is about 55 Euros per person. Given the price of the Euro vs the US$ and the "wonderful" European taxes you are going to find that just about everything is expensive in Western Europe these days. We recently walked by our favorite cafe in the Piazza Navona (Rome) only to notice that a draught beer was now priced at 8 Euros (more than $10). I sure miss the good ole days when a Euro cost about $.89.

Hank
Old 08-21-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
the "wonderful" European taxes
Sorry - but prices in Europe (incl. France) are FINAL (incl. tax).

There are NO additional taxes on the train tickets.

As US-Residents you get Tax Refund for your purchases (but not consumption like food, tickets etc.).

If you feel safe to book IN ADVANCE you are paying less than the 55 EUR you paid for - maybe 30 EUR. Depending if you are willing to check before or just go the the tellar and wondering that you need to pay the standard rates. If you book with AMTRAK you need also three days advance purchase to get discounts!

And if you only stay in tourist places you must not wonder to pay so much.

There are larger price differences between restaurants and bars alongside of Avenue Champs-Elysées (and other tourist places) and little side streets where you find nice French bars and bistros where you pay 1/3 of the prices subject that you speak and understand some French to read the menu.

You will see in all Europe: the more tourists the more expensive - the more American and Japanese tourists the more more expensive. All places with local people are very affordable. But you will not find them in your Berlitz' guide!

Regards,
HeinBloed
Old 10-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian traveller:
Hello,

My wife and I are travelling on a cruise, and one of the stops along the way is La Havre (with bus connections to Paris). I was wondering about taking a train from La Havre to France (I know it's possible, as I checked on the Eurorail.com website, but the prices seem really high!). Our ship arrives in port around 7AM, but the bus from the cruise line doesn't leave until 9AM. I was hoping to take a train from the port (not sure how far it is from the port to the train station??), and get to Paris sooner, rather than later!!

I've been to Civitavechia, and the price (return from the port to main train station) is only 9 Euros per person, but the quotes that I've received so far from La Havre to Paris is for 64 Euros each way per person, or 128 Euros per person return. Seems really expensive compared to the 9 Euros return from Civitivechia to Rome (granted, it's an extra hour from La Havre to Paris).

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks, and happy cruising to everyone.
My husband & I are also cruising there any chance your going on the Star that leaves Ft. Lauderdale on May 5th? If you already did this cruise I would appreciate any tips on sightseeing & transportation.
Thanks & happy cruising.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:00 AM

Heinbloed, I never said that "wonderful European taxes" are add-ons like in the states. In fact, the Europeans prefer to hide their taxes by including them in the final price. VAT taxes are often more than 15% and can actually be added to items several times from the origin to consumer. Many Americnas are shocked to pay over $7 per gallon for gasoline (more than $5 is taxes). As to eating in Paris, I absolutely agree thats its a good idea to avoid places on or near the Champs-Elysees or even futher out along the Rue de Rivoli. We have always had the best food and fun in cafes on the left bank in the 5th, 6th, and 15th and also in a few places in the Marais district.

Hank
Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 AM

Hank,
here is a link to the prices for the rail ticket from Le Havre to paris, included the timetable. You will need two hours by train from Le Havre to Paris. The price is US-$ 32 per person 2d class.
Regards
Uwe
Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Many Americnas are shocked to pay over $7 per gallon for gasoline (more than $5 is taxes).
Good Morning Hank,

the difference between Europe and the US:

The price of the gas is here an instrument to control the consumption of energy.

With prices like this in the US environmental friendly techniques would have a good good chance to be introduced and in use.

But this is off-topic - and just to give you an idea that there are specific reason to keep this price level for such products.

Regarding the prices: Once again - you can get tax refund for everything which will be taken out of Europe. Therefore you can normally can cut about 10% off from final prices EXCEPT consumption like food, accomodation, car rental, transportation, fuel etc..

Of course: due to current conversion rate between USD and EUR it's more attractive for us to go to North American cruises than for Americans to Europen cruises.

I can understand that you feel that everything appear so expensive but be sure: when you know the local languages somehow and can ask local people you can save a lot of money.

Have fun in Europe anyway!

Regards,
HeinBloed

Closed Thread

Tags
booking, caribbean, coach, coatch, fare, france, harve, havre, la, le, oneway, paris, royal, station, times, train, transportation, travel