Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 AM

Our first Med cruise will be in Sept 07. I will be travelling with an electric wheelchair, and am wondering if anyone can help with info on accessible hotels in either city, but most importantly, accessible transfers from/to airports in either city. Haven't found much in my research.
Also, am wondering if there is a list of ports that are tendered - to make plans for shore excursions - or is that ship specific?
Look forward to hearing any info you experienced cruisers may have - and thanks for your help!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Regarding your ports, I can help you on the tendering if you tell us which ship and what itinerary. Most of the larger European airports are pretty similar to US airports in that they have pretty decent facilities for the handicapped. However, there is no ADA in Europe and many of the older cities, towns, and villages can have major accessibility problems for wheelchairs. This is also true for some major tourist attractions such as major ruins (i.e. Pompeii and Ephesus) where uneven surfaces present a real challenge for any type of wheelchair or even folks that have difficulty walking. You are probably aware that there are several web sites with good information on European travel for the handicapped (just use Google), but we have seen a lot of improvement on cruise ships in the past few years. New advances in tendering operations (such as elevators to the tender platforms) has made a big difference. This past winter when we were on the Infinity in South America, we watched crew members skillfully load some wheelchair-bound passengers onto tenders at several ports. You also should contact your particular cruise line and ask them for information regarding your specific ship and itinerary.

Hank
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank:
Regarding your ports, I can help you on the tendering if you tell us which ship and what itinerary. Most of the larger European airports are pretty similar to US airports in that they have pretty decent facilities for the handicapped. However, there is no ADA in Europe and many of the older cities, towns, and villages can have major accessibility problems for wheelchairs. This is also true for some major tourist attractions such as major ruins (i.e. Pompeii and Ephesus) where uneven surfaces present a real challenge for any type of wheelchair or even folks that have difficulty walking. You are probably aware that there are several web sites with good information on European travel for the handicapped (just use Google), but we have seen a lot of improvement on cruise ships in the past few years. New advances in tendering operations (such as elevators to the tender platforms) has made a big difference. This past winter when we were on the Infinity in South America, we watched crew members skillfully load some wheelchair-bound passengers onto tenders at several ports. You also should contact your particular cruise line and ask them for information regarding your specific ship and itinerary.

Hank
Old 07-13-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks for you help - I have contacted NCL to ask about tendering. Have also looked at a few sites - and am finding loads of info - it can all help!
Sheila A

Closed Thread

Tags
access, accessible, athens, wheelchair