Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2007, 09:59 AM

What should a person do here? And what should not be missed?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 PM

I just posted a short comment about this on another thread, but will repeat myself to give you my thoughts. Mallorca is a very popular beach island and visited by loads of Brits and Germans who generally arrive on cheap charter flights and stay in the hotels located along the beaches. Palma does have a few sites (just Google the place and you will find plenty of info) but we always use the island as a beach day. The thing about European beaches is that most of them are not particularly nice (when compared to US east coast beaches) but a few of the islands (Mallorca, Minorca, Rhodes, Corfu) do have decent sandy beaches and clean water. I never push the "beach thing" on the boards because most Americans want to do and see things and not sit at a beach. But, the reality is that Med cruises can be very exhausting with long port days, and a day or two at a beach can be a nice change of pace.

Hank
Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 AM

Thanks Hank, I have since Googled Palma and see several places to visit that look to be in walking distance. I will also check out the beaches. We have been on some Mediterranean cruises and I agree they can be tiring after a few days in a row without a day at sea.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:06 AM

I should have mentioned that the pier in Palma is a bit out of walking range to town, but there is a local bus that runs from right in front of the port to the center of town. For those that want to go out to the beach near the airport its possible to take the bus from pier into town and than transfer to another bus (taxis are very expensive in Palma). A pretty inexpensive day can be had by going into Palma, walking around and seeing the sites, and than heading out to a beach for a few hours.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, cruise, de, florence, hotels, majorca, mallorca, nice, norwegian, palma, pier, review, rhodes, toulon, walking