Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 01:31 AM

We are first time cruisers and have decided to do our own thing at various ports. Can anyone give me, or point me in the right direction, for the times of trains from Roma Termini back to the port of Civitavecchia. Do not seem to be able to locate any timetable information. Thanks Wilma
Old 04-19-2008, 04:37 PM

Hi Wilma,

We are doing the same thing this summer. I found the website www.trenitalia.it very useful, and it has an English version. You can get full timetables for the date you want to travel. There seem to be plenty of trains back from Rome in the late afternoon.

Best wishes,
Jane
Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 PM

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply. Clicked onto trenitalia website but must be a bit dumb only times I could come up were express trains. Please advise what you did to bring up timetable.

Thanks,
Wilma
Quote:
Originally posted by DaisyJess:
Hi Wilma,

We are doing the same thing this summer. I found the website www.trenitalia.it very useful, and it has an English version. You can get full timetables for the date you want to travel. There seem to be plenty of trains back from Rome in the late afternoon.

Best wishes,
Jane
Old 04-20-2008, 03:18 PM

Hi Wilma,

When are you travelling? Is it soon, or in a few months' time? I'm asking this because the trenitalia site seems to show the express trains quite far in advance of travel, and then gradually adds other trains closer to the date of travel. I discovered this on another cruise chat site - I could only find 2 express trains for Sunday June 22 and was worried that we wouldn't have time to get into Rome & back by ourselves. Someone told me to try putting an earlier date into trenitalia, so I tried a Sunday in May and sure enough - lots of trains. So I checked June 8 & 15 and there were a few more - and when I went back and checked June 22 again, another service had appeared as if by magic! So don't worry, it's not you, it's the way the timetabling system works and I'm sure it'll be fine if you check a month or two before you go.
Jane
Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 PM

DaisyJess is right about the timetables. I posted something about that the other day. Here it is again, in a nutshell.

The train schedules are redone every June. The schedules appear to be wipped clean and then start to reappear with the Eurostar, IC+ and IC trains to follow. By early to mid June, the Regional/commuter types will begin to appear again. There is a work-around:

When you want to search, search for the time of the day and the day (Monday, Tuesday, etc) of the week but for the date, pick one in May that matches your day of the week. You will get a complete schedule. There is about a 99% probability that it will remain the same when the schedule is finalized. Good enough for planning purposes. You should always have a 'plan B' and always check your timetable when you arrive in country.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 04-21-2008, 02:21 AM

Thanks we are not travelling until September, so will take your advice and put in a date for May. Many thanks DaisyJess and Experienced Cruiser for your help. Wilma
Quote:
Originally posted by Wilma:
Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply. Clicked onto trenitalia website but must be a bit dumb only times I could come up were express trains. Please advise what you did to bring up timetable.

Thanks,
Wilma
quote:
Originally posted by DaisyJess:
Hi Wilma,

Best wishes,
Jane

Closed Thread

Tags
civatevecia, civitavecchia, cruise, english, long, port, prot, rome, schedule, service, sunday, termini, timetable, train, trenitalia