Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 07:23 AM

We are on the Carnival Freedom in June and the last stop is Livorno, June 17, then it's back to Rome. However, we are staying in Florence the night of the 17 & for a few days after. We already have our flight reservations out of Florence for back home. Why would we have to get back on the ship, go to Rome, buy train tickets back to Florence when we're already there? I asked our travel agent this some time back & she said to do it this way, but it makes no sense to me. Any comments on this please?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Check with the cruiseline you should be able to get off in Liverno as long as you tell the ship you will not be back .

I do not think it is like the USA where you can be fined for getting off prior to the final port.
Always best to check with the cruise line or purser once onboard
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 04-25-2007, 06:28 PM

We are traveling on the Millenium which has a stop for Rome, then the next day to Livorno. If we ask the captain, do you think he/she would permit us to avoid going back to the ship from Rome -- and instead travel to FLorence and then board from there. This way we would have more time in Rome.

Thoughts
Old 05-19-2007, 01:58 PM

All you have to do is write to cruise line telling them you need to leave at x port. I just did that with princess and left at Naples because I needed to go to Salerno and like you saw no point in going to Rome and then back to Salerno. They give you a slip of paper and when you get on board you take it to purser, I had to remind them a couple days before again but after that it was quick and painless and I was off in 1/2 hour.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:55 PM

We got off in Livorno on one of our cruises instead of going to Rome as we were staying in that area. We had our travel agent get in touch with the cruise line and notify them that we wanted to do this and there was no problem.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:09 PM

Bev, I am constantly amazed at how many travel agents do not have a clue about travel other than filling out forms on their computers. You will have no problem leaving the ship, in fact, they really cannot force you to stay aboard. However, its proper protocol to tell the cruise line in advance and to also mention it to the pursers desk early in your cruise. The purser will clear-it with the Italian authorities and you simply leave with your luggage. This is actually quite common on European cruises and we just met folks on a transatlantic that got off in Zebrugge Belgium during a cruise that ended in Amsterdam. Even though it was different countries there was no problem. The reality is that if you were to miss the ship (on purpose) there is not much anyone could do (or course you would want to have your luggage).

Hank
Old 05-19-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
All you have to do is write to cruise line telling them you need to leave at x port. I just did that with princess and left at Naples because I needed to go to Salerno and like you saw no point in going to Rome and then back to Salerno. They give you a slip of paper and when you get on board you take it to purser, I had to remind them a couple days before again but after that it was quick and painless and I was off in 1/2 hour.

This is the correct way of handling the situation. nco4242 is correct, it needs to be in writing and before you board. You may well be able to accomplish it at the Pursers desk onboard but you're forcing the ships staff into a LOT of extra work if you try it this way. It has to be cleared in writing and that's not always possible last minute. It's seldom a problem, unless the request is for a country like Turkey or Russia where there are visa issues.

If you try just disapearing with your luggage and the staff doesn't know you've left willingly they are supposed to file a report, similar to a missing persons report. They don't always do that, especially if your luggage is not in your cabin and they suspect what we're discussing is what happened (most times they don't even know you're missing). If there is some reason for them to suspect foul play in your disapearance they may even hold the ship and/or notify authorities. You may have a rather large bill awaiting you if they charge you for the time trouble and inconvenience of the delay on the cruiseline and passengers.

Please request the early disembarkation in writing to the cruiseline and get it approved in advance.

Cheers, Neil
Old 05-19-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Bev, I am constantly amazed at how many travel agents do not have a clue about travel other than filling out forms on their computers.

Hank you need to find a better agent.

Closed Thread

Tags
board, carnival, cruise, dont, final, italy, leaving, miss, missing, naples, on, port, prior, purpose, salerno, ship, stop