Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009, 09:15 PM

My wife and I are going on our first European cruise on the Voyager of the Seas July 12-19. The itinerary is:
12-Jul Barcelona, Spain
13-Jul Cruising
14-Jul Naples, Capri, Italy
15-Jul Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy
16-Jul Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy
17-Jul Villefranche (Nice), France
18-Jul Provence (Marseilles), France
19-Jul Barcelona, Spain

We plan to go on an RCCL excursion on 15-Jul (the CV02 Imperial Rome excursion). However, we want to plan "on our own" excursions for the other Ports of Call. We are in need of advice on the best way to explore the other ports. More specifically, we want to make sure that we: (1) see the "Don't Miss" sites, (2) use the best method of transportation, and (3) visit the best places to eat and shop.

Thanks in advance!
Europe Novice
PCL Caribbean Princess Dec 2006
CCL Inspiration Mar 2006
RCCL Explorer of the Seas May 2005
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 AM

I have been to Naples
There are a couple of options worth considering
The first is the ferry to Capri which leaves right next to where the cruise ship berths
The second (which I did)was to take a taxi to Pompeii and then go on to Vesuvius
It cost 130 euro at the time (about a year ago)-sorry-do not know how much this is in $US
Pompeii is I think un-missable but a word of warning-it is much larger than you might think
Remember to carry some bottled water with you as no refreshments can be bought in the ruined city
1 other point -Pompeii can be easily visited by train from Naple
It has its own station right outside the gates-this would cost a lot less
What ever you decide I hope you enjoy Europe
Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM

In Naples, my suggestion is to hire a guide/driver to take you down the Amalfi coast for the day. Truly an unforgettable trip
Old 06-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions for the Naples Port of Call!

It seems that Capri, Pompeii and Amalfi Coast are the top "Don't Miss" options. How would you rank these, since I am sure that we would only have time to visit one of them?

Thanks in advance!
PCL Caribbean Princess Dec 2006
CCL Inspiration Mar 2006
RCCL Explorer of the Seas May 2005
Old 06-19-2009, 04:54 PM

Hi RCCL Cruise Family,

Pompei you can reach from Naples by train. 1/2 hour ride. Cost is if I remember 4 euros - really cheap. What they call a train is like a subway in my opinion with a stop literally every minute in the who 30 minutes. Pompei Scavi stop is right at the ruins. Bring loads of water because we were there on May 19 and it was hotter than hades. At least a couple of hours to visit. It is very large. Bring a good guide book with you. Same line continues on to Sorrento another half hour away. As someone else mentioned the boat launch to Capri is right beside the pier where the ships dock. We did not do it because it was just too hot when we returned to the ship.

Livorno - on my ship - the Crown Princess the day we docked in Livorno 3000 people took tours out of a total 3500 passengers. I have never seen so many buses in my life and we were delayed leaving because so many buses and traffic on way back. They also had rental cars right there on the dock for people to rent. Ask RCCL whether that will be the case. A lot of people rented the cars. Yes they were 90 euros for the day but it was much cheaper than the cruiseline tours. It is one hour and a half to Florence from Livorno by car. Rome = if you are doing the Imperial Forum tour and no vatican tour at all, this is something that you really can do on your own. It would be much cheaper too. One hour train ride into Rome Termini. Take a cab to the train station however because it is a long long walk - that will cost you 20 euros for cab ride. Theyh really zing you. 9 euros return to Termini and then grab the buses and make your way around. If memory serves me right (my husband did all the paying) but I think buses were under 2 euros for 75 minutes and 3 euros for the day in Rome. The traffic in Rome will be crazy in summer and you really do see much more when walking. Have a wonderful european vacation.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, capri, cruise, day, europe, european, excursion, excursions, rccl, review, reviews, rome, ship, ships, tours