Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2005, 01:12 PM

We are doing a med cruise on Galaxy in May 2006. The ship docks at 7am and sails again at 7pm. We were wondering if it is possible to hire a car near the port for the day in Naples. Has anyone ever done this?
Mindy
Old 10-16-2005, 02:09 PM

There are several taxis that will offer you a full day's tour right inside the port itself and also as you leave the port. However, unless you have been to Naples before and want the car and driver for a special reason, Naples is quite easily done by hydrofoil and train. Check out the port review and special reports on doing Capri and Sorrento via hydrofoil and then Pompei by train. Hope that helps.

Here is a link to the port review;

http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples.htm

Tom
Old 10-16-2005, 02:29 PM

Hi Tom
Thanks for the quick reply. Is it possible to take a train to Positana as I am keen to see the town? Private tours are around 450Euros for 4 people and as we are from South Africa the Rate of exchange from Rand to Euro is sitting close to 8to1 so it is very expensive.
Thanks
Maxine
Old 10-16-2005, 03:36 PM

Your best bet for the Amalfi Coast is to use a private car. However 450 euro sounds a bit high. I know that folks were able to get a driver for the entire day outside of the port in Naples for around 250 euro. But, if it is an air conditioned van with plenty of room for 4 people it might just be your best option for what you want to do.

Tom
Old 10-17-2005, 08:34 AM

Hello Mindy and Tom,

as i've been to the Naples area for a long vacation in 2001, i can strongly suggest to never ever rent a taxi or van to take you out of the city to the Amalfi coast. The traffic is unpredictable there and you can get stuck in jams for hours in ugly suburbs of Naples.

Take a fast ferry instead. They leave at Molo Beverello right next to the Cruise ship dock. The service is very fast, reliable and cheap. For Positano and Amalfi there might be a change of boats in Sorrento or Capri Island. The fast ferry ride to Positano is absolutely beautiful as the vessel passes the tiny islans of Li Galli, and then along the dramatic Amalfi coastline. Positano itself is beautiful to die for. Be sure not to stay on the shoreline only, but toclimb up and down the many stairs to fully enjoy this remarkable place.

For the ferry service you might check out this site: http://www.costadiamalfi.it/english/...le_ferries.htm

Regards from old Germany, CP
Old 10-17-2005, 09:28 AM

Great advice and the very thing I am going to do on my next trip to Naples. Thanks for the information.

Tom
Old 10-17-2005, 02:33 PM

You're welcome, Tom. With the fast ferry you can do both Positano and Amalfi in one day, without any rush if your cruiseships itinerary gives you so much time in Naples like Mindy wrote. I'd do Amalfi first and then Positano. The ferries were always reliable and on time.

Best regards, CP
Old 10-24-2005, 04:11 PM

Crown Prince,

Thanks so much for the ferry advise. I have attempted 3 times already to get to Capri - always weather troubles.
Hope to get there one day

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mindy:
We are doing a med cruise on Galaxy in May 2006. The ship docks at 7am and sails again at 7pm. We were wondering if it is possible to hire a car near the port for the day in Naples. Has anyone ever done this?
Mindy
I was in Naples 24/10/05 with much the same amount of time to spare. I would suggest you consider taking a taxi for the day. The drivers are local and know how to avoid the worst of the traffic. We went to Pompei and Sorrento but the driver would have taken us anywhere we wanted in the time available. We paid 140EU for the day. Although we were only a couple he would have happily taken upto six people for the same money. When you think passengers on our ship were paying 45 GBP per person for similar trips the taxi begins to look cheap - plus you go at your pace, not the excursion leaders. Another option is to take a fast ferry from the terminal very close to where your ship will berth. You can go to Capri, Sorrento or both as a round trip. The fares are cheap since the ferries are part of the Italian public transport system.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice. We have decided to go the fast ferry or hydrofoil route. We are from South Africa and with the Rand close to 8 to the euro 140Eu is still a lot when converted. Does anyone know must you buy your return ferry ticket early or are there plenty of ferries. Would hate to miss the boat....

Closed Thread

Tags
acar, amalfi, car, cruise, docks, hiring, moped, naple, naples, port, private, rent, rental, renting, ship