Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2006, 01:18 AM

I am torn between going by hydrofoil to Capri, then Sorrento on my own and doing a private tour on the Amalfi Coast visiting Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello with Viator Tours.
I am leary of being at the mercy of hydrofoil schedules. Can you take a train back from Sorrento instead of going by water?
I am also concerned about the 4 town Amalfi Drive Tour being too much to accomplish in 8 hours. I'm reading some scary things about the traffic and danger of the drive.
Has anyone used PortCompass Tours or Viator Tours, both internet excursion companies?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 07:07 PM

We did the Amalfi Coast drive and it was very beautiful. We booked a private tour guide that picked us up at the ship, then took us along the Amalfi Coast. We did stops at Ravello, Positano, and Amalfi. I felt that some of the stops were tourist traps and there really is nothing there to see except a few shops w/ high prices. The drive itself was nice. We stopped along the way at a restaurant along the side of the mountain and had lunch.

It is very doable and is not scary. Yes, you are riding along the coast on narrow roads but definitely not scary. We had an excellent driver. As a matter of fact, we had 16 cruisemates and 2 vans for the drive. We had a nice day.

We have been to Capri and took the hydrofoil over. We had very rough seas that day and didn't stop at Sorrento. It is scenic there but I think that I would choose the Amalfi Coast.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:49 PM

Hi Calesso,
welcome to the cruise-chat.
Here is a link to "circumvesuviana". This is the train that connect Sorrento with Napoli:
http://info.sorrentohelp.com/p_04.asp
Have a nice trip.
Uwe

Closed Thread

Tags
almafi, amalfi, capri, coast, hydrofoil, itinerary, naples