Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 10:13 AM

We are going to be on the Carnival Freedom on the 5/25/07 cruise, stopping in Venice.
We have heard there is a blue-Venice card you can purchase enabling you to use the water-taxis, pay toilets, some museums, and possibly more that I cannot think of right now.
Can you purchase these cards on board the ship, or just where can you get these? We will be there over a 24 hr period. Also, we heard there is a free water-taxi from the ship to St. Mark's Square. Is this true?
Thanks!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Something free on Carnival (or any other mass market cruise line)? Surely you jest. Expect to pay a fee to use the transportation. As to the Blue Card, you can find all the information here
http://www.venicecard.it/prezzi_eng.jsp
and they will never sell that on a ship because they only want you to buy their tours. Personally, I am not sure those cards are a good deal for a one day port visit. Much of the fun in Venice is simply walking the streets and perhaps hiring a Gondola for a 40 min ride (expect to pay around 85 Euros). The water taxis (Vaporetto) are great if you want to go to other islands in the lagoon (Murano, Burano, Lido, etc) but its unlikely you would use them enough to justify the cost of the Blue Card (unless you just hate to walk). Keep in mind that Venice is very walkable and that is the only way to really see the city.

Hank
Old 02-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Hi Jane,
the VeniceCard is not good for a one day stay. May I recommend the One day Travel Card for Euro 12. The card is good for 24 hours after stamping.
An adult standard one way ticket costs Euro 5,-- and is avlid for 60 minutes after stamping.
More information here.

Do you know Venice? Here is a map of the cty. On the left side you will find the cruise terminal (Stazione Marittima). From there some cruise lines have a shuttle bus to the Piazzale Roma. From there you can take the line 1 for the Canal Grande (aboput one hour from the Piazzale Roma to Piazza S. Marco.
Have a nice day in "my city" Venice
Uwe

Closed Thread

Tags
cost, gondola, venice