Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Staying overnite at the Hilton Airport FCO
next day Cruising on Holland AM. does the
train go directly from FCO to the port, or
do you have to change trains in ROME.

Approx. cost of train
Thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 PM

From the information I gathered you have to go the Termini Station in Rome and then back out to the cruise port in Citivechia.

Maybe Hank or one of the other Europe "experts" can answer for sure. But when I asked about going from the port to the airport I was told that we would have to go to Rome and then back out to the airport. The train from Rome to the Port is supposed to be in the $15 to $20 range per person.

I decided on just paying for the cruise line transfer for the one direction. You might consider checking into a taxi or limo to get from the Hilton to the Port. Might be more expensive but less hassle.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-16-2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks Jim C. Appreciate your input,

MMHLR
Old 01-16-2008, 03:25 PM

I almost like that "expert" label, but than it means we have to live-up to our reputation. We like the FCO Hilton for the night before our flights back to the USA, but the place sure has expensive food (the buffet dinner can cost you $100). This hotel is actually connected to the airport by a long overhead connector that ends at an elevator right in front of the door to the hotel. Keep in mind it is a hike when you have luggage. Getting from that hotel to the port on the train is the cheapest option, but not easy. You have to take the long trek back into the airport where there is train station. You than take the train (Leonardo Express) into Rome (most suggest going to the main Termini
Station although there is a possibility of doing it via a smaller station) and than go make another trek between platforms and catch one of the trains (usually hourly) that would get you to Civitavecchia. Once you arrive at Civitavecchia, you can than make the 4 - 5 block trek to the port entrance where you catch a free shuttle bus to the ship. That entire process will probably take you as much as 3 hours because of gaps between the trains, long walks, etc. The other option is to arrange a car transfer/taxi the Hilton direct to the port (you can find some services on-line or your hotel can arrange it) but this is going to cost you somewhere in the $150 range. AS to the actual trains, the Leonardo Express takes about 30 - 40 mintues into Rome and the train from Rome to the port takes about an hour. I am not sure of the cost of the two trains, but the total should be about $30 per person. Make sure you always keep your luggage under your control since theft is not uncommon.

Hank
Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Hanks advice on keeping your valuables in hand is very good advice. Don't use the overhead compartments or set things like laptop cases, purses or camera equipment on the seat beside you. You may never see it again.

Also his post makes very clear to all who plan to fly in to Rome and depart on a ship how little time you have for sightseeing unless you plan one or more night hotel stay. Transportation will take up a lot of your time. The train ride from Rome to the port alone is actually almost 1.5 hours. Cruiseline transfers and taxis are quite costly as is nearly everything else in Europe. Planning well is important for cruises from Rome.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-16-2008, 07:47 PM

Hank, for as many times as you have been there and as willing as you seem to provide advice, you get the "expert" label in my book.

Wear it proudly man!
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 PM

I started re-writing a previous article of mine on Rome/Civitavecchia and the trains. Early draft is here:Rome Trains
Should answer a lot of your questions.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 01-17-2008, 07:23 AM

ftroute,

thanks that was wonderful info.
Baggage is always a problem for me!

MMHLR
Old 01-17-2008, 07:46 AM

ftroute- Outstanding! You get an "expert" tag also. I ask for your permisson to make a seperate post with a link to your train document that I will make "sticky" for this topic area. The travel between Civ and ROme question comes up a lot here and you document provides very good information.

The only thing it doesn't mention is what you do with your luggage on the train. There has been much discussion of thieves and pick pockets on the trains here and I'm curious as to what one can do to minimize risk there.

But still very well documented. Thank you.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Jim C,
Ah yes, luggage on a train. More on that is on my current to-do list. I just have to pull it from another document.

Be alert and observant and keep your luggage in sight (and reach if possible, at all times. I think problems generally occur more often on regional trains than the IC trains. They also may be more frequent in 2cl than 1cl.

Don't leave your luggage at the end of the car and go sit down. It might leave before you do. Running a cable or lockable strap through handles of all bags will help two. If somebody wants one, they have to take them all. Cannot image somebody coming on board with a bolt cutter.

Pick pockets. Again, be alert and aware, especially in or approaching a station. Thieves are going to target those who appear to be paying attention to something else. Use a money belt or something similar. Waist or fanny packs area good target. A quick slit with a sharp knife and the bag is gone. Same goes for purses.

Also going to add something about train diagrams/car locations and car locations on the platforms. [for those traveling 1cl]

Making it a 'sticky' is a very good idea.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, civitacecchia, civitavecchia, civitavechia, cost, costa, fco, hilton, port, rome, taxi, train, trains, transfer, transport, transportation