Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 PM

We are taking a Mediteranean cruise out of Barcelona. I've read Celebrity's policy on alcohol but I was wondering how strict they enforce. I wanted to carry a bottle of vodka and rum on-board. Should I put in the luggage or carry on? I really am not a big drinker, but I do like a couple of cocktails in the evening!!!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:48 AM

I think you will be fine putting it in your checked luggage or carry on. When 2000 passengers are boarding, they really don't have the time to go through everyone's bags looking for alcohol. Granted, if they saw 12 bottles of vodka when they run it through the scanner, there might be a problem....

When they are looking for bombs and guns, alcohol takes a low priority.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:52 PM

I wouldn't count on it - after boarding the Rotterdam in Valparaiso, Chile, I heard some folks talking about having had things confiscated on both carry-on as well as checked thru luggage. Of course, that was Holland America in South America. Maybe you'll be lucky in Spain with Celebrity!

Personally, I didn't worry about it - I had ordered liquor from ship's services and had it waiting in my suite. I carried aboard wine that I had purchased in Santiago but that wasn't a problem.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:40 AM

It is also Celebrity's policy to hold liquor bought onboard or brought onboard until the end of the trip. It isn't really "confiscated".
Old 11-20-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelJC:
It is also Celebrity's policy to hold liquor bought onboard or brought onboard until the end of the trip. It isn't really "confiscated".
Your statement has to do with bringing it aboard during the cruise not "sneaking" it in your luggage. The below is copied from Celebrity's policy on their website:

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Celebrity Cruises’ Guest Conduct Policy may be
enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy."

Dispose of containers sounds pretty final as in you aren't going to get it back! "Containers" can mean anything they want it to mean.

Why bother...

Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I would think if you are putting alcohol in water bottles etc...(smuggling) then they will dispose of it..
but if you bring it aboard in original bottles they will hold it till disembarkation.
You are allowed to bring wine aboard ..I think 2 bottles pp
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:
but if you bring it aboard in original bottles they will hold it till disembarkation.
Again, why bother?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:39 AM

LHT is right... They are going to be far more predisposed to permanently remove your alcohol if you try to get it on board by means of seemingly innocent containers. I have witnessed confiscated containers of vodka in Aquafina bottles, crown royal in coke bottles, etc. etc. I even know of a friend who tried to sneak vodka aboard the ship in baby bottles. (I thoroughly chastised them for that but laughed at the vain attempt) I used to bring bottles of "hard" liquor on board with me with great success. It was always in my checked luggage and I was well aware of the risks. I understand that I could have been forced off the ship if they chose to fully enforce their POSTED policies. My recommendation would be to purchase booze on the ship and in the ports. It costs more but the money you save in peace of mine more than makes up the difference. That being said, you can find numerous threads on this subject in the archives. Jim, or one of the other moderators/administrators, mercifully closes these threads and I assume one of them will courteously do so with this one soon.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Boxes of wine are easy to smuggle. Try the 1 liter Sangria sold in the Barcelona super markets. It's great
Old 02-04-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Jim, or one of the other moderators/administrators, mercifully closes these threads and I assume one of them will courteously do so with this one soon.
Right you are!

Closed Thread

Tags
alcohol, barcelona, board, caribbean, carnival, carrying, container, cruise, cruises, guns, long, penalty, port, royal, ship, smuggling