Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 01:57 PM

We are thinking of taking the train to Pisa and Florence rather than take the cruise "on your own" tours, thinking that it will cut down on our expenses. However, the 2008 tour books I have note that the price of a one way ticket from Livorno to Pisa is 1.7 Euro one way. When I got online, the price I found was somewhat higher. I would just like to have an idea of the cost. Has anyone taken this train recently and could give me a fairly accurate price estimation?

Thank you
fordrun
Old 06-11-2008, 04:22 PM

I just took a look at the Trenitalia web site and the current price is still 1.7 Euros (one way) for a 2nd class ticket. Of course, this could change at any time, but any increase would likely be minimal. A first class ticket (not worth it for a 15 min ride) is 2.6 Euros one-way. You must be careful looking at other third party sites since some of them will sell you a ticket on-line with an additional mark-up. There is absolutely no reason to buy a Pisa ticket (or Florence) in advance since reservations are not allowed on these trains (unless you were to book a more expensive IC train) and there are no assigned seats.

Hank
Old 06-11-2008, 05:06 PM

Dear Hank,

Thank you!!

I clearly was not reading the web site correctly, or was on the wrong site. Your email will help so much for our planning; now I know my guide books are correct (or pretty close to correct) in the amounts for all prices listed.

Fordrun.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 AM

We did livorno to Pisa at Easter, six of us cost about 36 euro return as follows:
1 euro each from cruise ship to centre of Livorno
1 euro each way bus from Livorno to the station, 3 euro return to pisa.

Bus from the crusie ship drps us of in the centre by an information kiosk. There is an archway leading past some shops, through there and cross the square. Take a number 1 bus to the station.

Train to Pisa took 15 minutes.
We walked from the station to the tourist office and picked up a free map. Then walked to the tower and back through the old part of town to the station.
Had a great day and as you can see, very cheap!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 AM

thanks for the helpful info. we are traveling to Livorno in a week on a cruise. can you tell me how long it took from the cruise ship to get to the train station by bus? and on the return as well from the train back to the cruise?
did anyone take a taxi to the train and back from the train to the cruise? i m curious how eager the taxis are to go only to the train station and are they waiting at the train when you return?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:44 PM

There is no bus from the pier to the train station. Most of the cruise lines do run a shuttle bus into town, but they drop you in the center of town nowhere near the train station. Its than possible to get a local bus or taxi to the station (its usually a little less than a mile). Keep in mind that those shuttles are not free (most lines charge $5 pp one-way). Most of the taxis do not want to go to the station (too close) but there are usually a few that will do the run. Depending on the demands of the driver you might expect to pay up to 20 Euros, but split 4 ways its probably the best way. The taxi to the station takes about 10 min. When you return the taxis at the train will have no problem taking you to the ship, but there are a limited number at the station. So get back at least an hour early, and it is a good idea to be one of the first off the train, than walk quickly through the station so you beat the crowd to the taxi queue (outside the front door). If all the taxis are gone, be patient because others will show within a few minutes.

Hank
Old 06-28-2008, 08:04 PM

wlm- probably too late for you, because I think you may have already left for your cruise, but Hank is correct. They run a shuttle bus from the ship to the market area in town. You can then take the 1R bus to the train station. We were off the ship before the shuttles had started running and managed to get a taxi for 20 Euros (big rip off but we had 4 couples in one taxi so it was only 5 euro each.) On the way back we took the bus (1 euro) to the shuttle drop off point. You want the 1R bus and you buy the tickets from the news stand shop inside the train station. We saw Florence and stopped in Pisa on the return and still got back to the ship with an hour to spare. Just watch your train travel time.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
bus, cost, cruise, florence, florencepisa, livorno, pisa, port, price, schedule, ship, station, taxi, tourist, train