Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2006, 02:01 PM

Hi everyone and anyone!
Does anyone have a suggestion for this port? I'm planning on doing most of my Med Cruise Ports 'on my own' and just realized I forgot this one. Princess offers an excursion of Olympia for $59. Good idea, bad idea? Can this port be done on my own? Thanks for any and all input. Linda
Old 09-12-2006, 07:12 PM

Linda, I have a hatred of organized tours, but in Katakolon I would recommend you take the tour if you have any interest in seeing Olympia. The problem is that Katakolon is a very small fishing village (perhaps about 3500 population) that is very isolated on the Peloponese. If you do not take the tour, than your alterntaive would be to spend a few hours walking around the village and perhaps having lunch. Olympia is nothing great, but it does have some real historical importance (Olympics started there).

Hank
Old 09-12-2006, 07:31 PM

Linda,

We did not go to Olympia -rather we walked into "town" from the ship. There's a nice strip of shops to visit.
Our friends that did the Princess tour enjoyed it. If you enjoy the historical value take the tour.

Check out my webshots albums I have 2 from the cruise.
Good Luck with your planning. It's an awesome cruise.

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 09-14-2006, 11:22 AM

Hank/Cathy!
Thanks for the information, it helped make my decision to take a day off from touring much easier.
A nice relaxed day in port combined with a nice relax day on the ship sounds wonderful. Thanks again! Linda
Old 11-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sunprincess:
Linda,

We did not go to Olympia -rather we walked into "town" from the ship. There's a nice strip of shops to visit.
Our friends that did the Princess tour enjoyed it. If you enjoy the historical value take the tour.

Check out my webshots albums I have 2 from the cruise.
Good Luck with your planning. It's an awesome cruise.

Cathy
Are there any decent beaches there?

Our Carnival Freedom itinerary takes us to Athens, Rhodes, and Katakolon. I'm sure we'll be visiting historical sites in Athens and Rhodes, and my husband (who is used to us cruising to tropical ports) is saying, "Aren't we going to go to ANY beaches?"
Old 11-19-2006, 03:51 PM

I share your husband's love of beaches. Unfortunately, after spending more than 30 years traveling internationally, we have come to realize that Europe is not the place for beaches....especially when compared to the east coast of the USA and the Caribbean. However, Rhodes has some very good sandy beaches and is a favorite beach gettaway for many "Brits." You might want to plan a simple day in Rhodes where you can explore 'Old Town" on foot and than take a taxi, local bus, or a rental car to one of the beaches. As to Greek beaches, you are better off waiting until you can visit some of the Greek Islands.

Hank
Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 PM

We've been to Katakolon a few times with Costa. The town is OK, but nothing special. We prefer to do tours independently and on the last visit we rented a car from Katakolon and rove the approx. 20 km to Olympia. It was very easy to do and the price (sorry can't remember it exactly) was very reasonable. We were a group of 4 and the price, including entrance fees in Olympia) was a fraction of what we would have paid with the ship's tour.

You walk towards the town and as you get close the the main street, there are cars with signs saying that they are available to rent. In an office to the left you can book a car. They speak English and are very friendly and helpful.

The drive to Olympia is easy (they will give youa simple map)and Olympia is very much worth visiting (see the Olympic site and the museum).

Closed Thread

Tags
avis, beach, beaches, civitavecchia, cruise, drop, fishing, katakolon, olympia, ports, review, rhodes, small, touring, tours, village