Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 11:21 AM

If we take the train to St Peters and have a look around, should we walk next to Piazza Navona or Trevi Ft. I'm confused. From Navona we can do the Pantheon, Capitoline, Forum, Coloseum and on to Termini. How to fit in Trevi Ft without wasting time and walking back and forth. Any ideas for an iternirary which won't lose time? Please! Thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:50 PM

Its a hike. Standing facing St. Peters if you exit to the left you can pick up the 64 bus - watch for pickpockets. This bus runs up to St. Petro station and then heads back the way you want to go.
about 10-15 min ride.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:25 PM

Well, IMHO when you walk you never waste time. A lot of the charm in old European cities is found just walking from point A to point B, enjoying the architecture and ambiance of the different neighborhoods, ocassionally sticking your head in an interesting looking shop to browse, stopping for gellati, spending some time at outdoor cafes sipping wine/beer/etc. You mention Piz Navona,,,which is one of our favorite spots in Rome. But, the charm of that Piazza is found by sitting at one of the cafes and people watching. Its actually a lot of fun to watch all the tours being herded through the piazza just so they can say they were there...but they miss the point. My simple advice is work out a general itinerary so you do not have to back-track, but just keep things flexible and take it as it comes. You might finish your itinerary, or perhaps you won't because you might want to do something else..but so what as long as you have fun. St Peters is a great start, but I guess you are skipping the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel (ouch). You didnt mention the Spanish Steps which is another favorite place near lots of nice shops. My point is that any itinerary is going to take time...but its sure not lost time if you are having fun. Can you see all of Rome in a day? Nope. We have spent more than 10 days walking the streets of Rome and haven't even dented the potential.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mani8kgm:
If we take the train to St Peters and have a look around, should we walk next to Piazza Navona or Trevi Ft. I'm confused. From Navona we can do the Pantheon, Capitoline, Forum, Coloseum and on to Termini. How to fit in Trevi Ft without wasting time and walking back and forth. Any ideas for an iternirary which won't lose time? Please! Thanks!
I just came back from my cruise and in Rome, this is what we did : We took the train to Termini, then the subway to the colloseum. From there, we walked to the forum, passed the Victor Emmanuel Monument, then stopped to have a quick lunch. We then went to the Trevi Fountain, and to the Spanigh Steps. We wanted to go to the Piazza Navona, but realized we would not have the time. We walked on the Via Condotti, to the Vatican. We saw the Castle San Angelo and St. Peter's, but we did not have time to go inside (we had already decided on that). We then walked to the San Pietro train Station and caught the 4:20 train back to Civitavecchia. We had a great day, but with a little sour taste, as it was not long enough.

Closed Thread

Tags
rome, subway