Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 02:49 PM

I am travelling with a group on the Voyager of the Seas in June. Some of us are interested in saving money on the shore excursions by following the directions from portreviews.com on taking the train into each town.
When docking in Livorno is there enough time to take the train to Pisa to see the Leaning Tower and then on to Florence and back to the ship?
Has anyone had trouble with availability when buying train tickets upon arrival? Do these routes have seat reservations and are they necessary?
Any idea on how to get tickets to the Pope's public audience? We'll be there on Wednesday but could only find how to get tickets on Monday and Tuesday. Would the shore excursions that are at the Vatican on Wednesday morning include this audience even though it's not listed?
This trip is for our triplets high school graduation gift. We're really looking forward to it, but when paying for 5 people everything adds up.
Thanks for all input.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:40 PM

I have the same questions. I am going in July 2006. Can you forward me any replies you get to these questions about Pisa, Florence etc. hav e a great time!!
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM

I may be a bit late, but goggle "Tom Ogg." He provides road maps for tours on your own. We are doing Livorno and/or Florence and Rome on our own at the end of this month. Yeah! If this is your first time abroad and if money is not an issue, I suggest guided tours. You simply must see and take a photo of all the Fantastic sights.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:01 PM

I asked Tom Ogg the same question in "Europe Port Reviews". I think we will do Pisa via train and then spen the afternoon in Livorno. We will be doing Rome on our own also. We sail on the 18th on the Jewel. There are 8 of us and we don't want to spend all our money on the excursions!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dianeh:
I asked Tom Ogg the same question in "Europe Port Reviews". I think we will do Pisa via train and then spend the afternoon in Livorno. We will be doing Rome on our own also. We sail on the 18th on the Jewel. There are 8 of us and we don't want to spend all our money on the excursions!
Old 05-24-2006, 06:38 PM

Eight of us are sailing on Celebrity in October and are interested in private shore excursions. Can anyone reccommend a reliable operator for Ephesus and Istanbul?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:32 PM

How does one get maps from Tom Ogg. I went to his website and couldn't find a link for a map of Rome. If it's not a problem, could you provide a link, please. Thanks
Quote:
Originally posted by rutledge:
I may be a bit late, but goggle "Tom Ogg." He provides road maps for tours on your own. We are doing Livorno and/or Florence and Rome on our own at the end of this month. Yeah! If this is your first time abroad and if money is not an issue, I suggest guided tours. You simply must see and take a photo of all the Fantastic sights.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:50 PM

Here you have a link for a map of Rome:
http://www.romanholidays.com/rome-map.htm
Regards
Uwe
Old 07-20-2006, 08:25 PM

We have done this trip many times and also spent months driving around Italy (were just there in May). The train from Livorno takes about 15 min to get to Pisa with the total train time to Florence about 1:10 (this varies slightly with the train). It is possible to do both Pisa and Florence,, but many would counsel to maximize your time in Florence and not waste your time in Pisa. You will have no problem with train tickets since most of the trains on this route do not have reserved seats. You can buy tickets at the Livorno station at the ticket window or at the self-service machines in the station. Make sure you validate your ticket before you board the train (you stamp it in a small machine located near or on the platform). The biggest hassle will be getting from the ship to the train station in Livorno...since most taxis will not want to take the short haul. You sometimes need to be a little assertive with the man who helps assign the taxis..and all will be Ok.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:03 AM

Am I correct in the fact that the train to Florence, from Livorno, makes a stop in Pisa? Would you recommend going to Florence and then on the way back stopping in Pisa, or get off at Pisa and then later continue on to Florence?

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, excursion, excursions, florence, goggle, independently, livornopisa, maps, mediterranean, morning, news, ogg, ports, powered, rome, ship, shore, tom, vbulletin