Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Anyone been to Cornwall (Falmouth) (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/30331-anyone-been-cornwall-falmouth.html)

Javert 08-12-2007 02:40 PM

We are going on a Celebrity Cruise in September that stops in Cornwall (Falmouth). Would like to hear from anyone who has been there. What to see or do?
Thanks

Zodiac 08-14-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Javert:
We are going on a Celebrity Cruise in September that stops in Cornwall (Falmouth). Would like to hear from anyone who has been there. What to see or do?
Thanks
Hello from italy, I been there acouple of times with german cruise liners.I was working on bord since 1999. Talking about South England-Cornwall(falmouth)different Companys different Excursions.I went on a little Excursion with Horses to see the little lakes and the great nature around this Town.The Weather can be sunny with 25 and down to 10 and reanning and strong wind.Most of the time we had bad Weather ...rain,rain,rain.Some passenger went to Loch Ness to see Nessie!!!If you like nature..you are on the Right places.Full of Whiskey,Cookies,Casels etc.and very expensive.Have a Great Day.Ciao from Italy

Hank 08-14-2007 02:10 PM

Falmouth is a tender port (more about that mess later) and is a delightful smallish tourist town not too far from Lands End. So, what to do? The place is pretty isolated and of course you could elect to take one of the overpriced ships' tours or you could even arrange to hire a private tour company. If you want to rent a car its a bit of a problem since the local rental car dealers continue to refuse to provide cars near the tender pier or even downtown. You tender into a small marina that is located on the edge of town, and if you want to go off on your own (this is what we did) you can simply walk from the tender pier through the grounds of a condo complex and into the village. If you walk through town you will come to another pier where they have various boat and ferry trips to a few nearby places. We grabbed an old small wooden ferry to the nearby village of St Mawes and really enjoyed just walking through this tiny village, enjoyed the landscape, and the hiking paths. There is also a small castle in this village although its now some kind of museum. We took the ferry back to Falmouth and found a wonderful fish and chips place in town where we ordered for take out. We than went across the street to a local bar/pub (they invited you to eat at their tables) where we enjoyed the fish and chips with a few lagers. I should add that the Brits actually swim in this part of England (they do have some rocky/sandy patches they call beaches, but I would think the water is a bit cold.

Hank

Hank 08-14-2007 02:22 PM

I want to address the tender situation in a seperate post because its worthy of some attention. Celebrity and RCI (their mother company) simply have done a dreadfull job in dealing with this port (perhaps they have heard the complaints and made adjustments by now). It is a long tender ride (15 - 20 min each way) which can be made worse if its a windy choppy day. When we were on the Jewel of Seas (Celebrity had a ship in the port the previous day who followed the same procedures) they used 4 ships tenders plus an additional tender hired from a local marina. Both Celebrity and RCI declined the offer to hire an additional two local tenders (they like to save money). As a result, it took more than 2 hours to get the passengers ashore, but this was the least of the problems. In the afternoon, all the tour buses returned to the tender pier at about the same time (approximately 3:15) so we had more than 1000 folks waiting in line (in the rain). The tour groups who got to the tender pier around 3:30 (last tender was supposed to be at 4) waited about 2 hours to get on a tender. There were few seats and they just stood on line in the open (there actually was one fist fight when somebody tried to cut in line). Our ship was supposed to leave at 4:30 for LeHavre, but we were not able to leave until 6:30 because of all the late tender operations. The locals who volunteered to help with the lines (these folks were very nice but also upset with RCI) told us that this happens only with RCI and Celebrity because they will not hire the additional tenders. The locals were very upset because they felt that their village was getting a bad reputation due to a cruise line that refused to use some common sense. Since we were on our own, we had arrived at the tender pier around 3 pm, so we only had to stand in line for 1 1/2 hours and finally got back on the ship at 5 (the tender ride took 30 minutes due to rough seas). The situation was ugly enough that the Captain and cruise director both made annoucements that evening and offered some appolgies mixed with too many excuses. Needless to say, this was the big topic that evening in the Concierge Lounge.

Hank

fruby 08-14-2007 03:42 PM

Hello,

Visited FRalmouth about four years ago and it is a truly wonderful travel experience. We did not tender in (if someone doesn't like tenders then maybe they shouldn't go on cruises). Tenders are part of the cruise experience.

The ship docked near the center of Falmouth, and my wife and I walked up to the Pendennis Castle. Pendennis Castle is not to be missed because of its cultural, historical, and beautiful views of the sea. You can even walk in a dry moat which surround the castle's walls!

Not far from the castle is an old English style hotel which is worth a visit to get an idea of what an English seaside resort looks like.

It is also fun to take a walk around Falmouth itself. Do some research on your own, have some comfortable walking shoes, and you will have a great time in Falmouth.

Falmouth is a very nice port overall and one that I want to see again.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Phynger 08-15-2007 12:53 PM

We visitd Holyhead and Falmouth last year on Princess. I would have to agree with Hank. The tendering left a little to be desired (had to wait for some freighters, etc., etc.). Not much there in way of beaches to use; but, views are great. Caernarfon Castle (where the current Prince of Wales and other monarchs have been crowned)and the town it's in are worth the walk. St. Michel's Mount from 12th century is beautiful and intersting Ithe tide was in and had to take small boats the day/time we were there)and Polperro (fishing village) was cute to walk around. Not much else to report.
Mike

Javert 08-19-2007 02:54 PM

Thank you all for your input. We're getting excited as the day grows closer!

waterart 08-19-2007 05:09 PM

You should try to go to Land's end, which is beautiful. Also be sure to eat a cornish pasty, and have some scones with clotted cream, which are fantastic. Yum Yum Yum

Hank 08-19-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fruby:
Hello,

Visited FRalmouth about four years ago and it is a truly wonderful travel experience. We did not tender in (if someone doesn't like tenders then maybe they shouldn't go on cruises). Tenders are part of the cruise experience.

Fred
I do not normally respond to this type of negative quote, but its too hard to let this go by without an comment. We have been blessed to have cruised on more than 50 different ships (11 cruise lines) and spent more than 20 months cruising around the world. Yes, I am quite aware that tendering is a part of cruising. But bad tender operations are a very bad part of cruising, and in most cases (not all) simply reflect the cruise line's greed. In Falmouth, the locals did a great job explaining the situation, and since they volunteer their time whenever any cruise ship calls, they are in the best positon to understand the reality. When I see elderly passengers standing in line (in the rain) for 2 hours to wait for a tender I start to steam! These folks were mostly those who had booked cruise line tours (we tend to avoid these tours) and were all brought back to the tender pier at about the same time. The fact that the cruise line made a decision not to hire additional tenders (they were available) was an awful decision driven by profit. Since we had returned to the tender pier by 3 pm (and only had to wait until nearly 4:30 to get on a tender) we were the lucky ones! We did sit on our cabin balcony until after 6 pm (the ship should have left the port by 4:30) and watched the tender continue to arrive at the ship until after 6 pm...about 2 hours past the scheduled last tender. This is not part of normal cruising. This is part of darn bad cruising and totally avoidable. The most anger I saw was from the local volunteer leader who was fuming and told us that he knew that the bad tender operations would leave "a sour taste in the visitors' mouths." As I previously explained, the math of the tender operation (time and distance vs number of spaces on the tenders) made this operation an inevitable mess. As is usual, the major problem was with the cruise line sponsored tours (we seldom take these tours) and the expectation of the tour groups that they would not be stuck standing in the rain for nearly 2 hours to complete their tours. In nearly 35 years of cruising this was the worst tender fiasco we have seen. We have heard of similar problems with some lines at Villefranche....but never personally witnessed anything like what we saw in Falmouth.

Hank