Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 PM

I have a few questions. According to some websites, men cannot wear shorts in the vatican museum and St.Peter's, but some of the threads say that only women can't. Has anyone been recently that can tell me if men can wear long shorts?

Also, can tickets be purchased ahead of time for the Vatican Museum? If not, does anyone have any good ideas about beating the lines?

Should we book ahead for the Colosseum?
Old 07-27-2006, 02:14 PM

The Vatican is one of the few places that really does strickly enforce their dress code. No shorts (men and women) knees must be covered for ladies, and no bare shoulders. If you are not dressed appropriately they will turn you away! As to the Vatican Musuem, they do not sell advance tickets. The Vatican does have a tour that will bypass the line, but you must book in advance and it can be difficult to get a reservation. Some of the private tour guides in Rome will have a partner wait in line to get you tickets,, but you will have to hire a guide for the day. As to the Colosseum, I do not see the need to do anything in advance.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:59 PM

I visited St Peters twice this summer and was able to gain entrance in shorts. However, Hank is right about women. They seem to be held to a different standard than men do when it comes to shorts and bare shoulders.

Tom
Old 07-27-2006, 06:08 PM

Tom,
That really sounds like discrimination to me. Especially since women's knees are so much prettier than mens knobby ones.
See you on the Century next week.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:40 PM

You can reserve a two hour tour of yhe Vatican Museums and The Sistine Chapel by sending a Fax to the Vatican at 06-6988-5100. Request a date, approximate time, the number in your party and their names. It is about 20 euros per person and this includes a guide in your choice of english or italian plus entry tickets. Be sure you include your fax number and preferably a contact for where you are staying in Rome.

They responded to my request in less than 48 hours.

I'll see how it works out. I'll be there Aug 5!
Old 07-28-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Ogg:
I visited St Peters twice this summer and was able to gain entrance in shorts. However, Hank is right about women. They seem to be held to a different standard than men do when it comes to shorts and bare shoulders.

Tom
The Swiss guard probably just thought "...another ugly American that doesn't know how to show respect". Tell us, do you also wear your shoes or sandals in a mosque or leave your head uncovered in a Jewish Temple?

Closed Thread

Tags
advance, buy, code, cruise, dress, europe, long, purchased, shorts, ticket, tickets, vatican, wear, women, yhevaticancom