Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Hi, I have just found this excellent site. Please has anyone got advice on trips for the Villas and Vinos cruise on OV2. I am going on the 9th September. Ports of call are Tunis, Naples (we have done all the places on the cruise except Naples) can we do this on our own? Livorno, St. Raphael, Ajaccio (Corsica). I realise places of interest are personal but we have never cruised before and would be too nervous to do some of the trips on our own. I just want to get the best out of each port with out it being too stressful.
Old 08-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Hi ya,

My husband & I are going on Ocean Village 2 on 9th starting with Tunis. We are on a 2 week cruise so not sure if we will be on same cruise with you but think we will. I am also wanting to make the most of our cruise by doing some research and this site has been brilliant with lots of tips to 'do it yourself'. We are counting down the days now. Hope you have a great time.

Regards

Marie (Birmingham, England)
Old 08-28-2008, 03:58 AM

I have done 8 cruises (although never with Ocean Village) and find that it is usually fine to do your own thing
I can comment on Naples and Ajjacio
When we went to Naples we hired a taxi which took us to Pompeii for a couple of hours (not nearly long enough)then up Vesuvius
This was just under 2 years ago and cost 120 euro
Naples is a city where you should take normal precautions when walking around-beware pick pockets and bag snatchers
On the subject of Pompeii it is easy to reach by train and has its own station
Other people took the ferry to Capri which leave right next to the cruise port
Ajjacio is possibly my favourite European port to date
It has a lovely harbour and the compact town is safe and easy to walk around
Having done that we walked along the front to a lovely beach and bars-people were friendly and helpful
Others took ship or taxi tours of Corsica -apparently the interior is fabulous
Obviously it would be cheaper to team up if doing your own thing -I think ships excursions are a rip off and should only be considered in un safe places like Jamaica or in places like St Petersburg
Whatever you decide -enjoy!

Closed Thread

Tags
ajaccio, call, corsica, ocean, ports, raphael, st, village