Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2008, 02:28 PM

I've gotten ambitious - booked two cruises: (1) Venice (25 Oct), 7 day/Greek Isles, and (2) Trans-Atlantic out of Southhampton (6 Nov) on the "Independence." Please advise. Any particular hotels (moderate-priced)in Venice? Also, I have five days between the Venice cruise and Southampton - trans-Atlantic. Can't decide where to spend the five days? I'm thinking Rome four days and then fly to London to catch the "Independence." Any suggestions. I'm trying to minimize multiple stops and watch my budget too. Thanks, Dave
Old 01-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Now that is my kind of trip, except we would probably skip Rome in favor of other places. Keep in mind that large cities like Rome (and also Venice) are among the most expensive places in Italy. However, if you want to spend 5 days in Rome simply take the train from Venice to Rome. When its time for your flight you can easily take the train to the airport. If we were doing your trip, we would rent a car at Venice, probably drive to the area around San Gimignano for a few days (central to some of the best parts of Tuscany) and than work our way down to Rome for the flight. You could also look into flights out of Florence or Milan and totally avoid the Rome area and just explore Tuscany. We know this is far from your expressed plan, but its fun to toss out other ideas.

Hank
Old 01-28-2008, 09:57 AM

As usual, Hank is right on the money with his comments. Rome and Venice are two of the most expensive cities in Europe, and if the dollar doesn't rebound some against the euro it is only going to get worse. I would prefer to go to Croatia from Venice and take advantage of a european country that does not rely on the euro. Take a train to Ancona and Split is just a ferry ride away. OK... maybe I am simplifying things a bit much. Either way, I too am just tossing out ideas. Have a great trip!! Fortunately, you will not need medicine for sea sickness, rather, you will need a good supply of Red Bull after all of that travelling.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator

I think the next time I hit Europe I am taking Hank and drlivingston with me!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:23 AM

Hi. We are going on a cruise starting in Venice on October 29, and based on some recommendations here, we booked a room at a hotel called Casa Alla Fenice. You can find it on line. The prices seem quite reasonable for Venice, and the hotel is well located. Although we have not stayed there yet, I can tell you that the management has been extremely responsive by email with confirming reservation/answering questions, etc.

One of the great things about the hotel is that it is so closed to a water taxi stop, even though it is on the interior of the city.

Have fun.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 AM

Let me offer a bit of a caution about Venice. There are many nice small hotels with rates that will not destroy the budget. But, the big issue with many cruisers is not the price, but the location. It can become quite expensive to get from airport to hotel (with luggage) and than hotel to port (with luggage). Getting around Venice without luggage is not a problem from almost any location since you can just buy a Vaporetto ticket (or multi-day pass). But, cruisers would be well advised to give a lot of consideration to how they plan to get around with luggage.

Hank
Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 AM

waterart, I always stay at the Casa Alla Fenice when I visit Venice. It is convenient to so many sites and transportation options. If you have never been to Venice, you might get a little overwhelmed at the vast amount of small streets, canals, and bridges. My first time there, I walked in circles for a while before I figured out where I was going. Don't ask the locals as they are partial to sending tourists down the wrong path. (it's kind of funny actually) It's true that the front door of the hotel is less than 20 feet from the point where the water taxi can pick you up or drop you off. The hotel staff can arrange this for you. It's a charming place to stay and you will really enjoy the nice Venetian breakfast that they will serve you in the mornings.

Closed Thread

Tags
airport, caribbean, cruise, departure, europe, milan, point, return, rome, royal, taking, tips, venice