Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Any suggestions for self-guided day in Dubrovnik while the cruise ship is in port? Also, places to eat lunch?
Thanks,
Old 07-24-2007, 08:51 AM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat, Doodles. After you dock in Split, the town center is about 500 yards from the port. Easily walkable. Taxis are plentiful at the port but make sure that you agree on a price before getting in. I found the best shopping was at the Placa which is right outside of Diocletian's palace. Other sights to see would be the Cellars, Peristil, the Golden Gate, the vestibul (very nice mosaics), the Temple of Jupiter (underneath the temple is the crypt of St. Thomas), St. Duje cathedral, the Ivan Mestrovic gallery, and of course the City Museum. Split is very famous for their cherries. They are delicious. Make sure that you buy a necktie over there since they were originated by the Croats. Also, the stores and restaurants will take Euros but you have greater buying power (better exchange rate) if you get Croatian Kuna's (their official currency). In May of this year you could get seven kuna for one U.S. dollar. There is a restaurant right beside the cruise dock that serves the best shrimp bisque and lasagna that I have ever tasted. Enjoy your trip and let me know if I can help you. Here is a shot that I took of part of Diocletian's palace:
Old 07-24-2007, 09:03 AM

DrLivingston: thanks for the info. However, I will be in Dubrovnik and not Split. They are two separate port cities are they not? Any info on Dubrovnik? I am actually sorry, after reading your reply, that I won't be visiting Split on this trip!

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, dock, dubrovnic, dubrovnick, dubrovnik, dubrovnikcroatia, information, museum, plentiful, port, ports, prices, ship, split, taxis