Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 01:25 PM

Hello, we are on the Celebrity Galaxy and will be in Athense for only 7 hours. Is it easy to arrange a private tour/car in advance so we don't have to use the huge cruise tour bus? We are 4 adults. Recommendations for tour companie are appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:35 AM

We are going to be in Athens in late June. Have been doing a lot of research online. Check out
Matt's Athens Guide at Athens Guide . Lots of good stuff.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 02-14-2007, 04:07 PM

Hey, SanDiego traveller! I think we're a few days behind you, on the Carnival Freedom!

When are you arriving in Rome?

Hubby and I (also from southern California, but north of you, in Ventura County) arrive in Rome on Saturday the 12th, and are staying that night in a hotel near the port in Civitavecchia.

If your schedule is similar and you'd be interested in sharing airport-to-port transfer (which we've already booked), email me at
terri91049@yahoo.com

If not.....have a GREAT time!!! We are so looking forward to our Med cruise!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:20 PM

With only 7 hours in port, I would suggest doing the Acropolis and the Plaka on your own by train. A taxi can only drop you at the foot of the Acropolis and on the outskirts of the Plaka and you will pay dearly if you arrange one. These are the two main attractions in Athens and with limited time, this would be the best choice in my opinion.

Here is a link on exactly how to do it on your own

Have a great visit to Athens.

Tom
Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 PM

You don't actually need a whole lot of time in Athens, so don't be deterred by the short amount of time you have.

Once at port, there is a taxi line. Grab one and they can take you anywhere...you may even walk right into the city.

The Lonley Planet is a great guide book.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 AM

I agree with Terri R.

Take the train from the port to the Acropolis. Itís cheap and efficient. It only costs 0.70 Euro each way per person.
Iíve communicated with the train authority in Greece and was told to take the train from Piraeus to the 6th stop Thissio. From there it is only a 15 minute walk to the Acropolis. On the way back, go down to the the Plaka. This is just below the Acropolis. The train station there is called Monastraki. From there it is 7 stops back to Piraeus and the ship.

Follow the link below and you get all the info you need. Click on the right top site for the english version of this site.

I hope this helps.

http://www.isap.gr/index.asp
Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM

I am a little confused by Sarahk's comment that "you may walk right into the city." Its quite a distance from Pireaus to Athens...but I guess you could indeed walk it in a couple of days . I do agree with the Tom's suggestion of simply using the train/subway from Pireaus to Athens where you can walk or grab a quick taxi to the Acropolis and than explore Syntagma Square and the adjacent Plaka area before heading back to the port. You cannot see Athens in one day, so just focus on a couple of priorities and you will have a reason for a return visit.

Hank
Old 04-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Take the TRAIN! Don't take taxi from the taxi line in Piraeus port to Athens. Taxi drivers ripped us off twice even with meter running. It should cost normally 8 euros from the port to Acropolis. We paid 24 euros and 35 euros on our return trip.

Closed Thread

Tags
10, acropolis, athens, cost, cruise, exscursions, piraeus, pireus, port, square, syntagma, taxi, transportation