Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Rome to Civitavecchia (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/32-rome-civitavecchia.html)

Livia 03-31-2009 08:10 AM

My daughter and I will be going on Princess Ruby June 21. We are staying in Rome for one day. I wanted to find out is it easy to take the train into the port from Rome or should I hire a cab. This is our first time in Europe and first time using this site. Any help would be great.

Jim C. 03-31-2009 09:30 AM

Livia- YES! Very easy. See the "Train Travel in Italy" featured post at the top of this section. It has more than enough info for you.

dv0823 03-31-2009 01:49 PM

What is the best time to board the ship at Civitaveccia. We hired a private car that informed of a pick up at 11:00am. Is this too early? should we stay longer at Rome?

Jim C. 03-31-2009 03:04 PM

No that is a good time. It will take you about an hour or hour and a half to get to the port anyway. We showed up at the port about 12:30 and they had already begun boarding... You COULD stay longer in Rome if you wanted, but why risk a traffic jam or a delay that could force you to miss your cruise...

Haygirl 04-14-2009 08:16 PM

My husband went to Europe October 08. This was our first time in Europe and found the train from Rome to Civitavecchia very easy to take. We purchsed our ticket the day before, that goodness because there was a protest the day we left. We also took the the train that only goes as far as Civiavecchia which doesn't take near as long and is worth the extra cost. But be ware of keeping your luggage where it can not be taken and don't take to much that you lose count and leave it on the train. A lady asked us after the train left, what happen's if you leave a piece of luggage on borad..She wont see it again. She had several pieces of luggage with her, no wonder she forgot one. Over all it is a exciting experiance to travel in Europe and the Princes cruise line was wonderful! Have a great time!

nedstar 05-05-2009 10:08 AM

From Civitavecchia to Roma Termini
Take the regional train 2 class 4,50 Euro p.p. (no reservations)
Every few minutes a train leaves, average travel time 1.15h
See updated train schedules http://www.ftroute.com/IT_CIV_ROM.cfm

From Roma Termini to Civitavecchia
Take the regional train 2 class 4,50 Euro p.p. (no reservations)
Every few minutes a train leaves, average travel time 1.15h
See updated train schedules http://www.ftroute.com/IT_ROM_CIV.cfm

Warning before you get on the train
It is absolutely necessary that you validate your tickets prior to boarding the train. This is done by inserting the narrow end of your ticket into one of the yellow machines located next to, or at the end of the platform. You will hear its internal printer put at date/time stamp on the ticket. If a machine does not appear to work, simply go to another machine. The penalty for not having a ticket, or a validated ticket, is 25 plus the cost of the ticket. This is true of all buses in Italy also! A ticket, once validated, is good until midnight the date that it was validated on.

pink845 06-04-2009 09:05 PM

It is very easy to take the train from
Termini to the port. Cheap too. Under five euros per person. But bear in mind that there is no elevator when you get the the train station Civitevvicha. You can definitely break your back first going down the stairs and then up the stairs with heavy luggage. So keep that in mind. Then, you really cannot walk to the pier unless you are superman or superwoman. The pier is a good 1/2 hour walk. Cab will cost you $20 euros if they take you. A lot of time they are simply lazy and will say no. We would definitely not do it again. We would prefer to pay for the luxury of a bus transfer from the airport. Why start your trip with a sore back. Cheers.

ftroute 06-07-2009 07:04 PM

Yes, it is easy to take the train to Civitavecchia. Inexpensive, yes it is. Hard, long walk to to port, no it is not.

Yes, there are stairs if your train does not stop at track 1. Most do not. (1) Don't try to carry your bags down the stairs (unless they are small) - roll then down slowly, one stair at a time. (2) Going up, pull them up slowly, one stair at a time. Takes a bit longer but there is not back strain.

The walk to the port entrance from the station is not that bad. Slight downhill, then it levels out. It has never taken us more than 10-12 minutes, with luggage.

Take a hard look at your luggage. If your bags are in the 30-36 inch range, they are TOO big! You are not packing for a semester away from home! If a single bag is close to 50 pounds, you are overpacked!! Two smaller bags are much easier to deal with. Most people take way too much luggage.

Take a hard look at the wheels on your bags. If they are those little 1 to 1 plastic jobs; put that suitcase away and get a new one. Those little wheels will not survive the cobblestone areas in Italy (or Europe).

pink845 06-19-2009 06:27 PM

Hi All,

I have to reply. The thing about the wheels is definitely right. You gotta have very sturdy wheels on your suitcases and light bags because we saw with our own eyes a couple of people destroy a wheel on two pieces of their luggage after trying to haul those heavy pieces down the stairs and then up the stairs at Civitavecchia. I do not know where your ship was docked in the port at Civitavecchia but we timed it in our taxi ride and he went straight there not out of the way rides and it was a seven minute cab ride. That would translate for me and my husband and 11 year on a hot May day (85 degrees) with a bag each to be a good 25 minute walk. That would be just too much for an older couple. The cab ride of 2o euros was worth it. It is also not the prettiest of walk - dusty with all the industrial port traffic - not my cup of tea and not the way I want to start my cruise. So I would taxi it from the station or simply forgo the entire thing and take a nice luxury coach from the airport. Cheers.

ftroute 06-23-2009 12:52 PM

My time reference was from the train station to the port entrance (shuttle bus from there.) You are not allowed to walk from the entrance to your ship.