Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2006, 12:32 PM

Hello;

Just got back from a mediterranean cruise. Thanks to all for the great info.

Another question for my next cruise-- I am planning to fly to Rome and travel to catch the cruise ship in Civitavecchia on my own.

Is there a more efficient way to do that compared to what I have in mind-- taking the train from fiumicino (leonardo express) to termini and then another train to civitavecchia?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 AM

UGH! Getting to the port of Civatavecchia is one of the only things wrong about cruising in the Med. i.e. many of the debarkation/embarkation ports are difficult to access. Getting to Civ is either expensive or a hassle. The hassle way (least expensive) is to use the train, and you have done your homework on this issue. The other options all involve being driven to the port by either buses (i.e. transfers) taxis, pre-arranged transfer limos/cars, etc. We have often gone to the port in our rental car...but than we will usually be in Italy before and after cruises and always get around Italy and Europe in a rental car. Most of the major rental car companies all have offices in "Civ." I usually advise cruise passengers to take a taxi or pre-arrange for a car and "bite the costly bullet." The reason is that its not very easy to carry lots of luggage onto the trains, and than you still need to get from the "Civ" station to the port which, although only a few blocks to the port entrance, is a bit far when you have luggage. Sorry I don't have any good answers, but there is just no easy inexpensive option.

Hank
Old 11-16-2006, 06:16 PM

I really appreciate the "straight goods" Hank, about this issue. I now understand why the cruise line charge what they do for that transfer. I will just have to allow for it.

Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2006, 08:20 PM

What is the taxi fare from Civ to rome.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:11 AM

This kind of taxi fare is somewhat negotiable based on supply and demand. However, my best guess would be that you would have to pay approximately $200. There are also a few companies that will pre-arrange your transfer from the port and I believe you are looking at spending at least $200 for that service (check on-line). Keep in mind that it takes about 1:15 min to get from the port into the center of Rome, which is why the transfers are so darn expensive.

Hank
Old 11-28-2006, 11:24 AM

What cruise are you going on out of Rome? It may be that there are others in the same situation and you can share a taxi.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:15 AM

Hi,I'm Italian and I live in Rome.I think that the cheappest and easy way to arrive from Fiumicino airport to Civitavecchia port is to rent a car at the airport.Taxi is very expensive and to arrive in Civitavecchia is easy driving ;it's all motorway.You will find the agency(Avis-Hertz) to leave the car very closed to the port of civitavecchia.Have a nice cruise.Renata
Old 12-03-2006, 12:11 AM

Honestly, we have just allowed for this in our budget. If you book air with your cruiseline, the transfers are included. So that might be something to look into.

Tim
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 AM

I currently live in Rome and just took a cruise leaving from Civitavecchia.
I have a car so we just drove there but even that we had a few problem with the company that were supposed to pick up our car for storage.
Anyway, best way to do this is either find a hotel in Civitavecchia for the night before and after the cruise (you can take trains to downtown Rome easy enough IF you have no luggage, dragging your luggages around Rome and fighting with all this pickpockets in the train station is not worth the try).
Also there are several hotels near the airport that offers free or discount rides to Civitavecchia, one that many like is called the Roman Village or something like that, it is located in Ostiense not far from the airport (also airport pick up and drop off), do a web search and ask if they provide rides to the port.
Good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
car, citivecchia, civitavecchia, close, cruise, cruiseship, hertz, location, long, port, rental, reviews, rome, ship, transfer