Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM

If we get to Pompeii by train and find our way to the site, are official tours available or are you on your own as self guided? Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 PM

There are official tours offered at the entrance in several languages including English. You could also opt to get an audio tour and than just go on your own (its good to supplement the audio tour with a guide book you can buy at the entrance). Keep in mind that when you take the train you want to get off at the "Pompeii Scavi" stop.... Do not use the "Pompeii" stop.

Hank
Old 10-11-2007, 03:02 PM

Thank you for your help. Would you suggest doing it on you own or the tour offered by the cruise line?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:54 PM

I hate when someone asks me that . The problem is that we have a real bias against any organized group tour and its difficult to overcome ones biases. The reality is that the answer to your question depends on your level of comfort regarding doing things on your own. The advantage to the cruise line tour is that it takes you from pier to site to pier with usually a stop at some phoney jewelry operation or cameo factory where the tour company and cruise line get a kick-back on any purchases (do you think I am cynical). Going on your own you will need to get to the Naples train station, buy your ticket, validate your ticket, find the right track and train, etc. The main advantage to going on your own is that you make the decisions on how long to stay at a place and you save money not to mention you get to choose your traveling companions. Ok, I am getting off track. Pompeii is relatively easy to do on your own (admission is about 12 Euros) but if the thought of getting to the Naples station and taking a train puts fear into your gut you should take the tour. If you have the spirit of adventure, some "travel smarts," and like making your own decisions than go off on your own. Whether you take the tour or go on your own, Pompeii will only fill half your day so you still have decisions regarding the remainder of the day.

Hank
Old 10-12-2007, 07:27 AM

Thanks for your advice! We would be catching the train in Sorrento where the boat docks and it doesn't seem too hard to find the train station. We (or at least I) like to do things on my own AND save money. So I think we will try going to Pompeii on our own.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM

From Sorrento its even easier since you do not have to deal with the very large (and somewhat confusing) Naples station. In case you are not familiar with European trains, keep in mind that you must validate your train ticket before you board the train. This is done by inserting them in a small validation machine which puts a time/date stamp on the ticket. We have seen quite a few tourists get in trouble (you get fined on the spot) with conductors for forgetting this step.

Hank
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM

Thanks for letting us know about the validation!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Your welcome on the validation info. Its just one of those things you need to know because nobody ever mentions this stuff. The validation machines are usually right near the platform entrance or sometimes they are actually on the platforms. If you buy round trip tickets they will actually give you two tickets (one for each direction). You only validate the one you need for that train and do the other right before the return. You will see this throughout Europe. Its also similar on a lot of European buses.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, pompeii, port, reviews, sorrento, tour, touring, tours, visit