Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 08:39 AM

We purchased the HOP ON HOP OFF on VIATOR.COM prior to taking our trip ~ $21.46 USD. The pass is about $5.00 cheaper if you buy in Rome the day of your trip. The advantage of having the pass in advance is that you don't have to go to a ticket booth, rather just walk right up to the bus and they scan the ticket you have from your receipt. Seamless procedure, would do it again. We also did the Hop on Hop Off in Florence as we did the day on our own.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks everyone. Might consider the HoHo bus in Florence as well.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentishgirl:
Has anyone ever used the hop on/hop off tour bus in Rome? Apparently it is only 8 euro p.p. for a day pass.
Thought it might be a good way to get around the city.
Hi Kentishgirl, I'm an English Speaking Limousine driver and having interest to propose you my service of Sightseeing tour of Rome, I want help you suggesting thie website:
Website deleted by JimC

Therefore I'm at your complete disposal for each further detail.

Sebastiani Roberto
Website Deleted by JimC

Roberto- Forum rules do not allow advertising or solictation of our members so I deleted the website addresses from your post. Please do not post any more advertisements of your services or you will be subject to being banned from Cruise Chat. - JimC
Old 09-10-2007, 07:23 AM

Thought I might post a little first-hand info on Rome and Florence. Regarding Florence, I would not recommend using a HOHO bus (have never even seen one. Why? Because the main tourist area is very walkable and a bus would be a total waste. The only area that is a bit of a stretch for a stoll is the Academia Museum (its a good half hour walk), but it would be cheaper to just grab a taxi to that museum than to pay for a HOHO that you would only need for the one ride. Rome is a bit different. There are several different areas that attract first-time visitors including the Vatican, Palatime Hill, Colluseum, and the shopping oriented neighborhood that has the Spanish steps and Trevi Fountain (its generally best to walk between these two sites). So, in Rome the use of the HOHO bus can be a good idea, although you do save some time by using other public transit (bus, subway) and walking. Keep in mind that with HOHO buses you do lose some time waiting for the bus at each stop. Hope this helps you folks.

I would also tell you that we have been traveling to Europe for over 35 years, been to Rome and Florence many times and have never used a HOHO bus or any other bus in these cities. Assuming you are capable of doing a lot of walking, using your feet is the best way to see almost any city. In Rome, when you walk distances between major sites, you see lots of neat places, buildings, piazzas, etc. This stuff is all missed when you take a bus (or subway).

Hank
Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks Hank. We love walking and feel it is the best way to see the sites but as we only have a few hours thought we might use hoho in Rome.
Have used these open top buses in other cities successfully.
Would like to see the Vatican, Colluseum, Trevi Fountain etc. Be nice just to spend a liitle time at each and then move on. Want to be able to sit and people watch for lunch with a nice glass of wine or beer as well !!
Getting excited now just writing about it!!
Old 09-12-2007, 03:47 AM

We´ve been in rome this may and used the Hoho buses. Actually we were quite satisfied with it. We got to see the collosseum, st.pete´s cathedral and alle the other famous sights at least from the outside. Please be aware, taht depending on which day you are in rome it may be possible, that collosseum as well as st.peters won´t be stops that day. We noticed that on our second day in town, a sunday. If in doubt, ask before purchasing your tickets.
There´s also public transport to the vatican running from statione termini, however, it´s a pickpockets paradies...

Hth

Marion

November 2005 - Costa Marina (Spanien und Kanaren)
Mai 2007 - Costa Victoria (öst. Mittelmeer)
Oktober 2007 - NCL Gem
November 2007 - Costa Fortuna (Karibik)
Old 10-01-2007, 02:09 PM

I have booked the "Rome on your own" tour with RCCL. Does anyone know where the coach drops you off and picks you up again?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:55 PM

Kentishgirl:

I think we must be on the same cruise -- Princess Star leaving Rome Oct 28th. We appreciate all of your excellent research and are benefitting from the great answers. We are more adventure tour types so a cruise is new to us. Hopefully we don't get carried away and miss the boat!
Old 10-11-2007, 05:59 AM

Torontocruisers, we are on Voyager of the Seas from Barcelona. This is our first cruise as well.
My husband and I aren't beachy people, so we thought a cruise would suit us, as we like to explore the places we visit.

Have a great time. Not long now!!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:55 AM

kentishgirl
we were on Voyager in September and did the Rome on your own tour. The bus drops you near the Vatican (opposite). The guide on the bus told us not to go to the Vatican first but to do all the other stuff first. In the morning the lines are very busy but from about 14h00 you wait 5 minutes and you're in. WE took a taxi in front of the Vatican to the Coloseum and walked amongst the ruins for a while, then took a taxi for about 7 euros to the Spanish steps (waste of time in my opinion) from there we walked to Trevi fountains - then to the pantheon. We also walked back to the Vatican. We made it before 14h00 and there was still enought time to see the museum and the churches.
Quote:
Originally posted by Kentishgirl:
I have booked the "Rome on your own" tour with RCCL. Does anyone know where the coach drops you off and picks you up again?

Closed Thread

Tags
academia, bus, buses, civitavecchia, closest, excursion, excursions, hoho, museum, reviews, rome, seadreams, ship, tour, train