Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 03:48 AM

Has anyone ever used the hop on/hop off tour bus in Rome? Apparently it is only 8 euro p.p. for a day pass.
Thought it might be a good way to get around the city.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:10 AM

Is there any good tour-busses in Rome? Anything to recommand?
Are you Kentishgirl planning to do on of the RCCL Rome excursions?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JuniorCruiser:
Is there any good tour-busses in Rome? Anything to recommand?
Are you Kentishgirl planning to do on of the RCCL Rome excursions?
JuniorCruiser, might do RCCL "Rome on your own tour".
I was wondering if anyone had used the open top bus tour of the city as a way of getting around. Apparently, you can hop on/off all day.

What are your friends doing for the Rome tour?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 AM

My wife and I were in Rome June 9-12 prior to our 12 Nite E. Med. cruise on RCCL. Just a few comments about Rome.
(1) You aren't going to see everything in one day. Get a good guide and make a list of what is important to you.
(2) Most of what you want to see will require a lot of walking. You could easily spend a whole day at the Forum, Colosseum, and the Palatine. See (1) above.
(3) The HoHo (Hop on/Hop off) makes a lot of sense for a one day trip. You see something you want to explore further, hop off for 15-30 minutes, then get the next bus. All buses start/stop across the street from Termini.
(4) If you want to see the Vatican, book a tour that will take you there first and then (hopefully) give you some free time on your own. Lines there can be extremely long.
(5) A RCCL 'Rome on your own' excursion makes a lot of sense. If you get tied up on traffic on the way back and cannot make it back in time for departure, the ship will wait for you. If you are totally on your own and the same thing happens, the ship will not wait for you.
(6) Whatever you do, relax and enjoy, you are on vacation.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 08-08-2007, 12:43 AM

ftroute, thanks for your reply. Like you said there is so much to see with very little time.

I don't want to feel rushed so just going to pick a few sights and take the "HoHo".
Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM

We were in Rome in May for two days and bought the passes on line prior to going. There was no need to do that. The Hop On Hop off leaves right across the street from the train station, it was fantastic, cheap and lots of fun. It will save you lots of $$ on taxi's etc. Go for it.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:20 AM

First thing, are you sure the price is 8 euros per person? I think it is closer to about 20 -25 US$ for one day. I have actually never experienced those tours, but they look like a good way to get a tour and a shuttle around town. Especially when you only have a day. We have been to Rome a few times on our own, but never took the ship excursion. If you decide on the ship tour, make sure of the exact stops and what you will actually be able to go and see and not just drive by. I might recommend the hop on hop off bus instead as at least if you see something you will be able to get off the bus and really see it. But going on your own, you do have to allow for time to take the train from Civitavecchia (if this is just a port stop) and back. It takes a little over an hour each way depending on the train. Have great trip.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Looks like several tours
Some start at 10E
http://www.trambusopen.it/index.cfm?Id=linee
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 08-25-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks for all the information. We have decided to do the RCCl "rome on your own" which is the coach in to the city and then you get time on your own to explore. Ho/Ho bus looks good. Just got to plan what we want to see without getting too exhausted!!
Old 08-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Just some food for thought. The train between Rome and Civitavecchia is about 7-8 US$ one way. So I am not sure how much the bus by RCCI is but something to think about. Also trains don't run into traffic, although if the bus runs late on the way back the ship will wait for it. If you need a train schedule check on Raileurope.com. But don't pay attention to the ticket prices, they are too high. YOu can just buy your ticket at the train station when you get there. I don't know if you are a do it your selfer, or on a budget, but just something to think about. Also the metro in Rome is pretty good to get around. Also remember if you only have a day I think you have to make a choice between historic Rome (Colloseum, etc) or Vatican as you won't be able to do those all in one day. Proably one of those and Trevi fountain/Spanish steps, something like that. Just some more to think about, plan well. have a good trip.

Closed Thread

Tags
academia, bus, buses, civitavecchia, closest, excursion, excursions, hoho, museum, reviews, rome, seadreams, ship, tour, train