Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 10:30 AM

We're deteoring to Paris before a cruise and wondered if anyone has any suggestions on places to stay there. Reasonably cheap rates preferred since we're only there to sleep.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM

I can think of a lot of suggestions, but much depends on you. Paris is a city of many neighborhoods with each having its own charm. Folks that love Paris (my wife and I) have very definitive opinions on where they want to stay and the type of hotel/B&B/Inn etc. For example, we prefer the Left Bank (5th or 6th Arondisement) or the Marais area. However, there are many tourists that prefer being near the Louvre, major stores, etc. There are places in all price ranges throughout the city but, in many cases, you do generally get what you pay for and many Americans do not want to settle for small European style accomodations. So please tell us a bit more about your desires and whether you have much experience traveling in Paris or Europe.

Hank
Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
We are staying there for a few days on the backside of our upcoming cruise and just researched a lot of hotels. If I knew how long you were staying and what price range, I could offer suggestions. We are staying at a hotel at a place called Cluny Square. It is just south of Notre Dame and has a Metro and and RER stop right there (RER is a train/subway that goes right to Charles De Gaulle Airport).

FUTURE:
Carnival Breeze - Jan 2013

PAST:
Carnival Conquest - 2011, Oasis of the Seas B2B - 2011, Carnival Conquest 2010, Carnival Ecstasy - 2010,
Carnival Conquest - 2009, Carnival Ecstasy - 2009, Brilliance of the Seas (Med) - 2008,
Carnival Miracle - 2007, Carnival Conquest - 2006, Rhapsody of the Seas - 2005, Vision of the Seas - 2003,
Rhapsody of the Seas - 2001, Carnival Inspiration - 2000, Carnival Jubilee - 1999
Old 02-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Well never having been to Paris before, we don't have a particular are in mind. We don't mind taking a train/subway to get to places. We did that in Barcelona. So bascially we're looking for a hotel that's clean and maybe around $120 if that's possible. We're there for a total of 4 nights. We will be flying in and out from the Charles De Gaulle airport.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:50 PM

Sue, Paris is a much larger city than Barcelona and the hotels are really spread all over the place. It is going to be a bit difficult to find a decent place for $120, but it probably does exist somewhere (I do not know where). You certainly should do some research at tripadvisor.com as they have a lot of hotel info and a decent forum. We have a place we like a lot that is located in a residential area of the Latin Quarter. This hotel has no A/C and madame does not speak any English (although her daughter is fluent) and its within a couple of blocks of the metro and buses. The web site is
http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/
and you can draw your own conclusions. Getting to this place (or any hotel) from the airport can be done using the RER and Metro lines. But since this is your first time in Paris you might want to reserve transportation on one of several transfer companies (just use google and you will find a few) that can shuttle you from airport right to your hotel. Make sure you save your pennys before your trip, because you are going to find Paris quite expensive (thank the lousy dollar). This being said, my wife calls this city her favorite city in the world and would say its worth every penny.

Hank
Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 PM

Hi there. A lot depends on what type of neighborhood you want. I always stay in the Marais area. My favorite hotel is the Hotel de la Bretonnerie, 22 rue Ste. Croix de la Bretonnerie. Nearby the metro, and great place for walking. Nice rooms, not too pricy with english speaking staff. Another great value is the Bastille Hotel Speria, very near the Bastille in a bustling area. You can't go wrong with either. If you want to look at more options, try the book Cheap Sleeps in Paris. Very reliable guide from my experience and that of many friends. Have fun!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:15 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure we'll find a place to stay from all this info. I appreciate the help.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM

One other suggestion for you...we use www.Holiday-Rentals.co.uk and have had wonderful luck with apartments in Europe. They are typically half the cost and much larger than similarly situated hotel rooms. This summer, we are staying in listing 83270 which is in the 6th (at the bottom but close to the big park and subway- a plus when are traveling with children). Agree totally with Hank...4th, 5th and 6th are our preferred spots but that is a matter of taste. Apartment rentals work well if you are comfortable without the services of a concierge and are more independant style travelers. Having used both, we most definitely prefer apartments. Best of luck with your trip plans.

Closed Thread

Tags
arondisement, louvre, paris, ports