Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Cherbourg D Day tour (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/33551-cherbourg-d-day-tour.html)

Eddieg24 11-18-2008 02:38 PM

We will be taking a cruise this summer that lands in Cherbourg. They offer one tour cthat covers Utah Beach, but I was looking for something that covers a little bit more. I'd like a tour that covers more of the D Day invasion sites. We will be there from 8:00 Am to 12:00 PM so we have a lot of time. Can anyone recommend an alternative to the Ship's excursion?

Hank 11-20-2008 03:39 PM

Well, I guess the answer depends a lot on your level of comfort in France. For us, the obvious answer is to simply rent a car for the day (a one day rental is usually less than $100) and drive yourself all over Normandy (its an interesting place and also has some nice towns). Otherwise, your only other option is to arrange for a private tour/guide/driver from a local tour company. By the way, you say you are only there until 12PM which means you only have 4 hours....but I am assuming you meant midnight.

Hank

Eddieg24 11-20-2008 09:33 PM

You assumed correctly. Could you advise a tour group to use.

Hank 11-21-2008 03:46 PM

Sorry, but I am probably the last person on earth to recommend a tour or tour guide. We have been traveling extensively for about 40 years and nearly always avoid any kind of tour. Hopefully, somebody else that monitors these boards has some first-hand experience with a good tour guide.

Hank

billybuzzy 11-25-2008 05:34 PM

Eddieg24 - If you only have 4 hours-then the ship's tour is the way to go. If you have 16 hours then I suggest you consider hiring a local driver at the pier. There is a great D-Day museum located at the location where French General LeClerc came ashore and is very informative.
If history is not your thing- A run over to visit Mt. St. Michel and tour therein (It is a medieval town with a monastery at its peak-the views alone you'll remember the rest of your days!) would be quite memorable and is priceless.
The French people of Cherbourg are wonderful and most hospitable.
There are enough remains of German fortifications around the harbor and the piers to write a book!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Eddieg24 02-12-2009 04:28 PM

How would one go about arranging a tour from the port? How would I know which ones are reliable? We will be minimally a party of four. Perhaps we could pick up another couple that might ber interested in joining us. I can't understand why the cruiselines are so limited, as we will much time. My main concern is that the tour guide would have back at the ship on time, so if anyone can recommend someone that would be appreciated.c
Quote:

Originally posted by billybuzzy:
Eddieg24 - If you only have 4 hours-then the ship's tour is the way to go. If you have 16 hours then I suggest you consider hiring a local driver at the pier. There is a great D-Day museum located at the location where French General LeClerc came ashore and is very informative.
If history is not your thing- A run over to visit Mt. St. Michel and tour therein (It is a medieval town with a monastery at its peak-the views alone you'll remember the rest of your days!) would be quite memorable and is priceless.
The French people of Cherbourg are wonderful and most hospitable.
There are enough remains of German fortifications around the harbor and the piers to write a book!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

billybuzzy 02-12-2009 07:49 PM

Eddieg24 - Often, when we have been in an unfamiliar place we stop and speak with the local constabulary. As long as you are not in a third world country they will usually steer you along to to a reliable driver/guide who speaks your native language!
In Cherbourg Americans are treated very well-You might not want to leave-It's a great city!!
My suggestion-Ask a Gendarme for help/assistance! Be sure to set the fare with your guide in advance, try to avoid paying in advance, check to ensure you have the proper currency in an amount sufficient to pay and tip generously!
You'll have a blast!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy

Eddieg24 03-05-2009 05:36 PM

[quote]Originally posted by billybuzzy:
Eddieg24 - Often, when we have been in an unfamiliar place we stop and speak with the local constabulary. As long as you are not in a third world country they will usually steer you along to to a reliable driver/guide who speaks your native language!
In Cherbourg Americans are treated very well-You might not want to leave-It's a great city!!
My suggestion-Ask a Gendarme for help/assistance! Be sure to set the fare with your guide in advance, try to avoid paying in advance, check to ensure you have the proper currency in an amount sufficient to pay and tip generously!
You'll have a blast!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy[/QUOTE

Once I get off the boat I assume theere will be a slew of drivers offering tours. How would I determine who is reliable? Do I just walk up to a police officer and ask or are there others who can recommend specific drivers or tour services that are likely to be at the port. With the better conversion rate bewtween the dollar and Eurto it is looking more and more likely that I will be taking a tour with my party of four.