Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 04:20 PM

We are coming to Rome September 2. We will be there for one day from the ship. We are planning on getting a private tour guide. I really wanted to see the Colosseum more than anything. My husband knows a lady that has been there 4 times. She told us today where to go and such. She said she wouldn't waste her time going to the Colosseum. She said all the artifacts, statues, etc. have been taken out and there isn't much there. The lines are terrible and it isn't worth it. What does others think that have been there. I feel so disappointed right now.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I really wanted to see the Colosseum more than anything.
Of course you should see the Colosseum! It's a fascinating ruin, largely intact, and the guide will explain to you how the whole thing worked. Go first, as soon as you get to Rome, because you want to see it more than anything! In September, lines won't be as long as during the height of tourist season in the summer. You'll still have lots of time to see a lot of other things in Rome.

Sandy
Old 01-31-2009, 12:57 PM

I second Sandy's opinion. We went early (before we headed to the ship as we stayed the day before in Rome.) and we walked right in, no lines at all. On te way out there WAS a line to get in. But I would not have gone to Rome and not gone to see it. It is fascinating that they could build such a structure so long ago.

I doesn't take that long to see it and it is right across the street from the subway (metro) entrance so you wouldn't need to spend money on a guide to see it. (Maybe arrange to start with the private guide afterward???
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Closed Thread

Tags
carnival, colisseum, colloseum, collossuem, coloseum, colosseum, cruise, forum, guide, port, private, rome, subway, tour, tours, worth