Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Will be in both ports in late October...having difficulty finding info on private guides. Anyone with positive experience with private drivers/guides? Would love to hear from you.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:11 AM

Hello. Welcome to cruise chat. We were in Morocco for 3 weeks this past June. We went indepenently, no tour group. We used a plane and trains to get from city to city. Anyways, I also had a hard time finding info on guides, prior to going. Every time we were at a historical/tourist spot, there were always guides hanging out to take you on a private tour. We only used it when we were in Rabat, for a kasbah, that had streets like a maze. If I remember, the guide wanted $40 per person. We also hired a private driver to take us down south towards the Sahara. That was arranged by our hotel. We paid $80 per person, there were a total of 5 of us in a van. I am off to work now. When I get home, I'll look through my guidebooks, for any private guide info. We were only in Casablanca for 1 night, and we did not go to Agadir. We spent all our time at the 4 imperial cities. If you think of any other questions, I'll see if I can find answers for you in my guidebooks. Your best bet for the least hassle free, might be to do the excursions offered by the cruise line. Hope this helps, Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-21-2007, 06:37 PM

Thanks - we've booked the ships tours as back-ups but we try to avoid the large group tours where possible...hence the ongoing search for private tours. Any further info you have would be great!
Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 PM

Hi. Lonely Planet "Morocco", suggest the website www.visitcasablanca.ma it says it's in french, but you should be able to translate it into english with help from google. Since you live in Canada, maybe you already speak french! Try this website too www.olivebranchtours.com also in LP book. If you have never been in a medina, (the old part of a city, used to describe the old Arab parts of the modern city), I would suggest taking a guided tour through one, if you are up for adventure. They are like a maze, we got lost for over 2 hours, in a medina in another city. That was part of the fun though. There are guides at the entrances you can hire. Casablancas medina are more new, mostly from the 19th century per the LP book. On the north side of the medina, facing the port, you'll see the last remains of Casablancas 18th century fortifications, known as the Sqala, which has panoramic views over the sea. You can also go to the Hassan II mosque, but you can only enter with a guided tour. We didn't go in, we were there on a friday, and it was closed that day. There is also the Quartier Habous (Nouvelle Medina), it was built by the french in the 1930s. LP calls it "morocco lite". The other nouvelle areas in other cities we went to, were much more modern and didn't feel or look old or ancient. For a more feel of arab morocco, I would definately stick to the old medinas. It is mostly filled with shop vendors selling traditional goods/souvenirs, and food. It is definately a experience. This info was pretty much out of the Lonely Planet guidebook I used. Sorry this is long, just trying to give you info. Hope this helps. Any more questions, just ask, I'll do my best. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 10-06-2007, 02:48 PM

We are signed up to use a private taxi in Agadir to go to Taroudant(?). Contact lyndsey.knight@btinternet.com altho I also gave her name to someone else on cruisecritic.com. (We are there Nov 1st.)
There are several comments regarding Tangier tours for Casablanca. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=220613
Good luck.

Closed Thread

Tags
agadir, aqadir, casablanca, casablance, cruise, guides, lopnely, morocco, morroco, planet, port, private, review, reviews, tours