Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Has anyone been to winery in Santorini? Is it worthwhile doing? Was done independently or with tour? Cost? How far from Fira? Any info appreciated.
Thnx
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM

My wife and I visited Santorini in May. You can take a winery excursion but your time will be far more rewarded if you go it on your own. Hopefully, you will be tendering to the old port, Fira. Spend a couple of euros and take a donkey to the top... will save you over 560 winding steps and is guaranteed to provide some laughs. In Fira, I rented a car from Spiridakos for 25 euros for the entire day. This is the only way to see wonderful sights like Oia, Perivolos, Akrotiri, the Red Beach and the White Beach. Wineries are easy to find and admission it cheap. The roads in Santorini are good and easy to navigate. Have a great time and prepare yourself for one of the most breathtakingly beautiful islands in the world.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM

Oops.. forgot to answer your question. The most popular two wineries were located in Megalochori about 10 minutes drive south of Fira. Mostly dessert varieties since the predominant grape grown in Santorini is the Assyrtiko variety. The rental car place will provide a map and show you how to get there. Very easy and memorable.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:41 AM
Hi, the post was a question on wine tours but as drlivingston has mentioned the donkeys, I'd thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth..no it is not a laugh see the donkeys having to lug tourists up a steep lot of steps ..in the hot unshaded sun of over 80deg f. Whilst I am not against donkeys being used for work I looked at their conditions (not much shade)and thought that it was unfair to the donkeys on the go all day in the hot sun till the last cruise ship has gone.So if you arrive at santorini and the wait for the lift is too long..just walk up & down those steep steps and if you think it is too much for you ...think how the donkey must feel...end of rant...hope you enjoy the wine.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM

My apologies to Jack and Pete. I have a strange sense of humor not meant to offend anyone. I wrote that one night and actually forgot about it. I will have the moderator remove the offending post at once. Sorry for any ill feelings that I may have caused.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator

I have removed all posts that either offended or quoted what was offensive. Carry on!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:42 AM

can only respect drlivinston for his reply and am more than happy to let the matter drop

Closed Thread

Tags
cost, costs, cruise, europe, powered, price, reviews, santorini, santorinin, santoriniwinetour, tour, tours, vbulletin, wine, winery