Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Where is the best place to exchange dollars for a few Euro's before leaving the USA? I would like to have a few to put in a Christmas gift.
Thanks,
Susan
Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 AM

The bank should be able to do it for you. As well as the airport.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:58 AM

If you need Euros and live in Miami you can exchange dollars at 230 N.E. FIRST ST. Telephone # (305) 374-2336. Is located in downtown Miami and will not charge any fees and usually their exchange rates is a couple of pennies lower. For ex: If the currrent rate is $1.37 for one Euro, their rate is $ 1.35.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Unless you live in a major US city (such as Miami as mentioned in the prior post) you will not be able to buy Euros at a decent rate of exchange. Larger banks will get you Euros, but you will pay dearly for the money. There are some on-line companies that will also sell you Euros, but again, you will pay a premium. We have been traveling in Europe (and throughout the world) for over 40 years and have never found any need to get Euros before we leave the states. We normally obtain some Euros at our arrival airport (or cruise port) and get very good rates by simply using our ATM card. There are ATM machines everywhere in Europe (including airports) and its hard to walk more than a block without finding a machine. To use your ATM card (or debit card) you should notify your issuing bank in advance (you should also do this for any credit card you might use out of the country) and know your 4 digit PIN in numbers (there are no letters on most European ATMs). If your PIN is more than 4 digits this can be a problem for which I do not have a definitive solution.

Hank
Old 02-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
If your PIN is more than 4 digits this can be a problem for which I do not have a definitive solution.
I visit my bank a few weeks before my overseas trips, and they advise me on how to use my PIN. They have generic information already printed out, along with contact numbers should we run into issues while in Europe.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:08 PM

If you are a member of AAA, some carry Euros.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Whenever we have seen AAA sell Euros or Euro travelers checks it generates a nice profit for AAA. The reality is that you will get a much better rate of exchange if you get your Euros in Europe and generally the best rates will come from ATMs as long as your own bank does not charge some outrageous transaction fee. One reason we moved our banking to a credit union was that they do not charge silly fees (ours charges nothing for foreign ATM transactions).

Hank
Old 02-07-2010, 09:00 PM

Note: It appears an old post was revitalized. The original post was back in December and wanted Euros before leaving U.S. for a Christmas gift.
This post is now closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
buy, cruise, dollars, euro, europe, euros, exchange, inusa, leaving, pay, place, sell, ship, us, usa