Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2003, 01:29 PM

Any info anybody can provide about these ports would be awesome. Wwwe have never hit these spots before and are open to any suggestions on what to see and how to keep the costs in line. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:29 PM

Any info anybody can provide about these ports would be awesome. Wwwe have never hit these spots before and are open to any suggestions on what to see and how to keep the costs in line. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-05-2003, 05:46 AM

We cruised Corfu & Dubrovnik last year. Both are easily able to be explored without taking a paid shore excursion.

We had a shuttle service to Corfu town and the town centre is small enough to walk around and very pituresque. I think it would be better to do it alone rather than in a large, organised group trying to move through the narrow alleyways.

Dubrovnik is also very easy to do alone. It is by definition a samml, contained place as the old town is completely contained within the mediaeval walls. The best way to start is to asecnd the walls and walk around as much of them as you want. You can go up onto and down from the walls at multiple spots and it only costs a few euro. (We used Euro all around Dubrovnik.) The wall walk gives you a good orientation of the town, allowing you then to focus on the parts which interest you when you come down off the wall and walk around what is a beautiful and interesting town.

Have fun
Old 04-05-2003, 08:15 PM

I agree with Andrewj. We took the SilverSea Silver Whisper about a year ago, and it stopped for the day at each port. I would suggest taking a bus tour of Corfu. the road winds around and around to the top of the island, and the views are absolutely spectacular!!! You must see them. I suppose you could take a taxi and simply tell the driver to take you to the top - there's not much else to see. the island is full of wonderful olive groves (they are a major exporter) and beautiful olive and pine trees. The port area is quite quaint, and your guidebooks will tell you what else should be seen.

As far as Dubrovnik goes, again, I agree completely with Andrew. It is a wonderful old walled city. It is great to walk around inside, and visit the shops and restaurants. We had a wonderful seafood lunch at one of the outdoor restaurants. Also, there are ATM's at both ports that are easily seen. I simply used my ATM card for Euros, whenever I wanted to buy something. In Dubrovnik they really prefer euros rather than credit card. No need for a paid excursion - there are old, old churches to see and I am sure there are guides outside who can give you an English language tour. don't miss the outdoor market in the middle of Dubrovnik!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:58 AM

thanks Andrew and luxory lady for responding. sounds like we'll enjoy Dubrovnik. However, we aren't hitting Corfu (sorry I should've specified)
but rather we will stop at Santorini and Athens. You guys have any helpful info on those places?
Old 04-07-2003, 03:36 PM

We also went to Athens and did that also on our won. We took a taxi from the port to the Acropolis. The driver quoted Euro 25, but we bargained down to 10. Trip took about 20 minutes. We spent a long time at the Acropolis on our own and then hailed another taxi to go back to the ship - same story with bargaining. Just keep firm ona price and wait till you find a driver who will do it for that price.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:23 AM

Marshe, yes, we went to Santorini on that same trip last year. Only for 2 days, but it was absolutely spectacular. You are fortunate your ship stops there. Our cruise ended in Athens, and we flew to Santorini the same day. I'm not sure how you will get to the top of the cliffs, but whatever you do you need to go to either Fira or the other major town and walk around admiring the view. The main path overlooking sea also overlooks the volcano in the middle of the sea - it looks like an island, and you can see other islands from the top of the cliffs as well. We had dinner at a wonderful restaurant with that georgeous view. All of the villas and hotels are built into the cliffs with that same georgeous view. I have wonderful photos, and memories of that spectacular place! Also, there are ancient ruins there of the Minoan civilization, which if you have time you should visit.

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, corfu, cruise, cruises, direction, dubrovnik, excursions, greek, islands, isles, port, provide, shuttle, top, walk, walls