Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2007, 07:20 PM

We plan to fly into Rome (FCO) a couple days early before boarding a cruise in Civitavecchia, and I'm given the following transfer options when booking online:

- No transfer (free)
- Transfer to ship $130
- Rome City Center to Ship $150

I assume the 2nd option is from the airport?

Anyway, if we plan to spend a couple nights at a hotel in Rome, does it make sense to buy the cruise transfer or should we arrange private transportation? Not sure I like the train idea (I've heard it's a hassle with luggage, and can be dangerous).

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Ben
Old 03-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I replied in the Port Hotels and Transfers forum.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 AM

Let me give you short answer here for those that do not want to look on other forums. Yes, its a pain getting from Rome to the port and you only have a few options. The cheapest way is to use the train, but this can be a hassle when you have lots of luggage. You can also take a taxi, have your hotel's concierge arrange for a car/driver, or book transfers on-line. Given the price offered by the cruise line ($150 per person) I would probably opt to simply grab a taxi or have the hotel arrange for transfers. You can easily book transfers from less than 200 Euros per car (some transfer companies will transfer up to 6 for that total price) and you will have the convenience of your own car/taxi without the typcial cruise line transfer delays as they pick-up at multiple locations or wait for stragglers.
As to using the train, if you can handle the luggage you will save a lot of money even if you use taxis at both the Rome and port end of the journey (it is not always easy to get a taxi in Civitavecchia.

Hank
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 AM

Thanks Hank. 200 Euros per car is still $260 in US dollars, so it sounds like we'd need to find another party to really be saving any money. But I do like the idea of using our own private transportation that can accommodate our schedule, vs. waiting for the cruise bus to load up and make multiple stops as you mention, etc.

I guess I need to research a couple transfer companies to see what they charge. Any recommendations?

I thought I read on here that the transfer/shuttle companies were cheaper than taxi's.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:17 PM

What cruise are you on?
Peter
Old 03-07-2007, 12:24 PM

Princess, leaving May 5th from Rome, ending up in Venice (13 days). I think I read on another thread that you're on another one in the same region (May... 12th maybe?)
Old 03-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Yes that right May 13th. Thought we could have offered you a ride with us but that doesn't work out.
Cheers
Peter
Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM

We'll be sailing out of Rome again in October. After several cruises and LOTS of investigation we find that when in Rome, using the cruise line transfers is the safest way to insure a pleasant (and timely) arrival at the ship and then back to the airport. Aside from making sure you arrive on time, the quotes we've always received were very little different once you include the requested "tips and tolls"

Other European ports can be easily reached using a taxi, etc., but getting from Rome to Civitavicchia can be a bit of a problem depending on the individual day, traffic, auto accidents, construction, strikes, etc., etc, the list can be endless. Sometimes saving a little money isn't worth it. Ships and planes wait for no one. . .
Old 03-15-2007, 01:34 PM

Good point. We weren't sure we'd be sticking around by the airport though since we're arriving a few days early. Maybe it's worth it to backtrack or catch their transfer that picks up from the city center.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 PM

Someone please tell me that the $150 transfer fee is for a round trip. It must be, because otherwise it is $600 dollars per couple to get to the port and back. I can (almost)fly from the US to Rome for that amount!

Of course, on the way back you can probably arrange a group with others and hire a taxi for a somewhat lower fare.

Read and post cruise reviews

Closed Thread

Tags
book, buy, center, city, civitavecchia, cruise, cruisetransfercom, hotels, ital, port, review, reviews, rome, transfer, transfers, transportation