Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2007, 10:48 AM

Hi eveyone .First let me start by saying Everyone on this forum is fantastic!Very knowledgeable and I appreciate all or any advice you can give.I want to purchase only one excursion at these two ports.(Messina,or Livorno).I am confused to which one would be easier and cheaper to do on our own.I know there was not a train getting us back on time to the ship in Messina7-5pm from taormina.please help with advice.Thanks so much
Old 08-19-2007, 11:12 AM

Ok Melly, given the criteria you have posted I would recommend that you book the Taormina (on your own) excursion and than take advantage of the trains from Livorno. You do not say how long your are in Messina, but unless its a full day I do not like the train option. If you are in Messina a full day than you could get to Taormina on your own. As to Livorno, you have several options with how to spend your day, but they all would involve getting from ship to the train station...which necessitates a taxi (some use the ships shuttle,..but than you still have a long walk or short taxi to the station). From the Livorno station you can get decent train connections to Pisa, Lucca, or Florence (the 3 most popular destinations). If you are interested in exploring the smaller towns of Tuscany you would need to consider renting a car or hiring a private guide/driver.

Hank
Old 08-19-2007, 06:45 PM

I've taken the train on my own from Livorno to Florence and Messina to Toarmina. Like the other poster said, if you don't have a full day in Messina, forget taking the train to Taormina. I don't know where the train station is there, but I do remember having to get a cab to the station in Livorno. I just went back to Messina and only had a 1/2 day. I enjoyed walking around and seeing the churches there.

You can find the train schedules at http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html
Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 AM

Thank You both for your suggestions.I finally booked an excursion from messina to Taormina since we are only there 7am-5pm.The tour taormina on your own didn't break the bank and I decieded to to Livorno to pisa on my own since we have a longer day at this port.I printed out the train times and it works on our own.I thank you again.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:43 PM

Melly, I can give you a tip about Taormina. Its a very small town (basically two streets) that is very easy to do on your own. On the main street there are lots of shops and boutiques (some are pretty decent) but most of these stores close about 1:30 for the afternoon siesta and re-open about 4:30. So, you want to do any shopping or browsing as soon as you arrive, and plan on having a snack or drink once the stores close. I am not sure of the current hours for the Roman/Greek Amphitheater so you will need to check on those times since its a "do not miss" attraction. They used to stay open during siesta time, but I am not sure of the current policy.

Hank
Old 08-20-2007, 09:55 PM

Hank
Thanks for the tip.

Closed Thread

Tags
cheap, cruise, excursion, excursions, italy, livorno, messina, own, port, review, reviews, sicily, taormina, tour, train