Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 AM

We're taking a Med.Cruise in Aug. and I have found Tom Ogg's wonderful info. on all of the ports, except Messina. Can anyone give me any details, such as where to go, what to do? I want to have everything planned out in advance.
Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 01:47 PM

Hi, lesstew,
welcome aboard our cruise-chat.
Click here for some informations about Messina:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messina,_Italy

The main sights are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messina,_Italy#Main_sights

Best of Sicily:
http://www.bestofsicily.com/messina.htm

and a link to Messina Port:
http://www.thomsonbeach.co.uk/th/cru...ortCode=002627

Regards
Uwe
Old 07-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Most folks avoid Messina in favor of taking a tour (or the train) to the smallish wonderful hilltop town of Taormina. You might want to do some homework on Taormina which you can simply google on the internet. Keep in mind that its about a 1 hour drive (or train) to Taormina so a taxi is not practical. Some (like me) prefer to rent a car in Messina since it gives us more flexibiility and enough time to do Taormina and perhaps run over to Mt Etna or visit other small villages.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:28 AM

Are the car rental agencies close to the port? Or do you have to take a taxi to get a car?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:43 PM

I have not rented a car there in years, but have reliable info that one of the best places (price and location) is Argus Rentals. They have a USA phone number at 201-581-9019. I understand they will even arrange to deliver although its only a few block walk (turn right as you exit the dock area) and its at via Vittorio Emanuele II 116. Hope this helps
Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 AM

I just returned from the 7/30 Jewel. Thanks to Hank's advice I rented a car from www.argusrentals.com. The rental agency was very close to where the ship docks right next door to the Hertz. Rental rates start at $40usd about half the price of Hertz. The ride to Taormina is very simple. Only involves around 3 turns. Messina is an easy city to get in and out of. In Taormina, park in the garage Porta Catania, not the Lumbi. There's an elevator that you take to the 7th floor and leaves you right at the gate of Taormina. You pay for the parking at the 7th floor before you go back to your car. Thanks again Hank.
Bonnie
Old 08-20-2006, 09:04 PM

Hello,

Could someone be kind enough to advise on taking the train from Messina to Taormina.

There is a RCCL ship sponsored excursion to Taormina and Mount Etna for $112/person including lunch. OR should we take the train? Any ideas on how much the train costs and the frequency of service. The trenitalia wasn't much ehlp.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 08-24-2006, 01:22 PM

FRed,
here you will find connection infos for the train from Messina to Taormina and back:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=212.18...et_add_C5-2#cis_C5-2
Regards
Uwe
Old 08-24-2006, 10:05 PM

Bonnie, I am really happy the car rental worked out for your visit. Actually, in 30+ years of travel within Europe and Asia we almost always prefer to rent a car rather than use tours. It saves us a lot of money and gives us total freedom to do what we want, when we want, with who we want. Its not a good option for everyone, but for those with some "street smarts" and a spirit of adventure it is a great option.

Closed Thread

Tags
car, cars, cruise, hertz, italy, messina, port, rent, rental, review, sic, sicily, taormina, taxi, tour