Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 11:27 AM

I Am Sailing on Coasta Luminosa on 24th May 2010.
My Ports Are
1.Honnisngsvag
2.Hellesylt/Geiranger
3.Tromso
4.Gravdal
5. Trondheim
6. Andaksnes
7. Bergen

Can someone please Suggest What is the best thing to do port by port?
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Honningsvaag we are taking the ship's transfer to the North Cape there is a local but if you want to DIY
http://www.worldtravelguide.ne...ope/Honningsvag.html
Bergen you can take the Floban up to the lookout or just wander on your own through town lots of thing to do & see there depending on your interests
http://www.visitnorway.com/en/...tractions/Floibanen/
http://www.visitbergen.com/en/
http://www.ulriken643.no/en/Home/
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat. I can't tell you the best excursions you might enjoy, but I'll let you know what we did.

Honningsvag - we took a ship tour to North Cape. You can also do this on your own, yet the local bus got very crowded on our cruise (according to fellow travelers who took that option). We had plenty of time at North Cape Hall with the ship tour. Don't miss the museum downstairs. On your way there and back, look for reindeer on the sides of the road.

Tromso: We took a tour, but easy to do on your own. We visited the Arctic Cathedral, botanical gardens, aquarium, and just walked around the town. Tromso was our favorite city on this cruise.

Bergen: Easily done on your own if you want to stay in town. We went up to Mount Floyen by funicular, enjoyed the views from up there, then went back down to the town and wandered about the fish market and surrounding area. Depending upon where you dock, you may be able to walk from your ship, or a shuttle will be offered if you are further out.

I haven't been to your other ports... yet. Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:32 AM
I grew up near Trondheim and can recommend a few sights to see:

1. The Nidarosdomen Cathedral - a tousand year old cathedral with lots of history around.

2. For a walk: The Bakklandet area, across the river from down town. Old buildings with small shops, cafes etc.

3. The Tyholt tower - a rotating tower with a great view over the city and surrounding areas.

4. Ravnkloa Fish market - a fish market - not as large as the one in Bergen, but still a nice atmosphere.

5. Stiftsgården - the Royal Residence in Trondheim

6. Ringve Museum - a museum covering the music history

The ship is probably offering a city tour which covers most sights if you don't want to concentrate on one or two on your own

If you went to Oslo, I could come and take you on a private sightseeing myself

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-03-2010, 10:15 AM

Svein,,I am going to Oslo..so whats the best thing to do in the 8 hrs. we re in port...is there a hop on hop off bus? Looks like a big city,,,do a taxi tour??Sure ship willhave some tour but hate crowds....thanks in advance..Going in May ,,so lots of time to plan...
Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by alexandra cruiser:
Svein,,I am going to Oslo..so whats the best thing to do in the 8 hrs. we re in port...is there a hop on hop off bus? Looks like a big city,,,do a taxi tour??Sure ship willhave some tour but hate crowds....thanks in advance..Going in May ,,so lots of time to plan...
we just got back from Norway
This is what we did in Oslo buy the Oslo pass at the tourist information centre at the dock they give cruise passengers a discount.
We walked to town about 15 minutes strolling to the ferry over to Norwegian Folk Museum & Viking Ship Museum ~ Kon-Tiki and the Polar Ship Fram, Maritime Museum your pass includes admission to those museums as well as the ferry, buses & trams took the #30 bus from Fram museum to the Viking ship museum then the ferry back.
You can take the #12 tram to the sculpture park, the fort is right at the dock if you have time do that last
The next best thing is the HOHO bus it stops right at the port.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Old 01-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Do you recall the cost of that pass you got at the dock for the museums?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:45 AM

According to this web site, a 24-hour adult pass costs about $40 in U.S. dollars. Note that today, $1 = 5.84 Norwegian Kroner (NOK).
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Smile Thanks for Oslo info,sounds great
might also take HOHO bus,,,then eat lunch and rest,,,take off to see Museums in pm...great advice and much cheaper to do on own,,than take offered ships excursions...have to make final payment this week,,looking forward to May...now anyone else going on Seabourn cruise in May,,,put new thread re other ports and this cruise on other section of CR>>>
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisin Jamie View Post
Do you recall the cost of that pass you got at the dock for the museums?
It was just over 300 NOK
I cannot recall exactly the lady gave us the cruise discount
It was good for the Ferry & the museums

FUTURE CRUISES:

Last edited by LHT28; 02-07-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Tags
bergen, cruise, cruises, docks, excursions, geiranger, honningsvag, insignia, marina, norway, norwegian, oceania, ports, review, reviews, things