Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2009, 06:45 PM

my son is taking the Royal Caribbean 12 day cruise in Italy. He's not interested in the excursions offered by the cruise ship as he doesn't like following the crowd. Looking to travel from cruise ship port to Cinque Terre area on his own. Only have 7am to 5pm. Does anyone know of an acceptable way to travel there and how much of the area he can expect to explore on his own in the time given
Old 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM

We have been on the same cruise that he is going on. Considered doing exactly the same but decided to do it the following day from Livorno (which is an overnight stay).

His day is actually 7:00am to 4:30pm (when he must be back on board. From the ship (via tender) to Portofino, then local bus to Santa Margherita will take probably an hour. He should figue 1 hours coming back to account for 'waiting for the bus'. Train from Santa Margherita to Riomaggiore (southern most village) will take at least an hour. Coming back to Santa Margherita he should plan on 1 hours to account for 'waiting for the train'.
Realistically speaking he should have 4-5 hours in CT. He needs to spend a lot of time getting very familiar with the train schedule to/from Cinque Terre from Santa Margherita, as well as the schedules between all five villages. To go without doing this is asking for trouble. This type of trip requires a lot of detailed plannning, with at least 1 (if not 2) back-up plans.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your reply. I will convey this to him and remind him (which I have done often) that he MUST plan ahead especially for the travel time.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:19 AM

Yes, pre-planning is necessary for any European port if you are going to do it yourself.

In this particulare case, if I were to do the cruise again (could happen), I would probably "miss the ship" and spend a night in Cinque Terre. Livorno is the next stop on the cruise and only 1 hours by train from CT. The only downside being is that I'd miss the first formal night of the cruise.
Legend of the Seas - Oct 2008

Celebrity Constellation - July 2009
MSC Orchestra - Jan 2009
Navigator of the Seas - March 2009
MSC Poesia - November 2009
Jewel of the Seas - June 2010

Closed Thread

Tags
cinque, cruise, jewel, margherita, margheritaitaly, msc, port, portifino, portofina, portofino, portofinoitaly, portofinos, santa, seas, terre