Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Question Port in Venice
We spend Sunday and Monday in Venice. The Ship stays overnight, does anyone know if the ship is tendered there or can we walk on and off the ship? I heard somewhere you had to take a water taxi to the ship but not sure.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-10-2012, 04:07 AM

Smile Our ship docked and could walk off and on
may depend on size of ship,not sure. Saw large ships,but we were on smaller (SeaDream)....easy to walk to water taxi or people mover to main square from port.Also, gondolas right at first bridge.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Thank you Alexandra Cruiser,
We are heading out to the airport now, so excited that the ship stays overnight in Venice before leaving for the cruise D CIAO

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 06-10-2012, 01:10 PM
janfred, it's been some years since we were in Venice but it was on Grand Princess and I remember the dock was some distance from St. Peter's Square; we had to take a vaporetto (or water taxi) to and from the ship.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:51 PM

This may be too late to help Janfred but nearly all ships dock at the cruise ship complex located near the Piazale Roma. It is possible to get the Alilaguna Line boat from the port over to St Marks Square although this is normally not the best way to get around Venice. There is a new People Mover which is a small automatic train that runs from the parking area out in Troncheto over to the Port and finally over to the Piazale Roma. This People Mover costs about 1 Euro and only takes a couple of minutes. Once at the Piazale Roma it is easy to walk across the square to the ACTV (vaporetto piers) where you can get the vaporettos to anywhere in Venice or the other islands in the Lagoon (i.e. Lido, Murano, Burano and Torcello). A single ticket on the vaporettto (or the Alilaguna) costs 6.5 Euros. However it usually makes more sense to buy a timed Vaporetto ticket that allows unlimited use over a period of time (12, 24, 36, 48, 72 hours). As a rule..if you use the vaporetto as few as 3 times in the first day the timed tickets are a bargain.

Hank
Old 06-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Thank you for the more current information, Hank; and I meant St. Mark's, not St. Peter's.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Well the latest information is that from November next year, the largest ships of more than 96,000 tons will be banned entirely from crossing the Giudecca canal.
Venice to ban giant cruise ships | World news | theguardian.com
So if you want to visit Venice on a large cruise ship you had better make plans fairly quickly
Old 11-07-2013, 03:11 PM
jack2007,

Is that the same as the Grand Canal ? Reason I ask is when we were on The Emerald Princess last year we did leave by going down the Grand Canal and it was really something special and spectacular. That is something I will never forget. However reading the article I do understand the concerns.

Cruise Countdown Tickers

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 AM

Most cruise ships do traverse the Grand Canal.... But I can see how it becomes an issue. You can bet that they will havean alternate entrance to the port area available before they enforce the ban, they will not want to turn away that many visitors...
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013

Tags
cruise, distance, main, marks, mover, people, pier, port, post, powered, reviews, sq, square, st, vbulletin, venice, walk, water