Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Default Year of the Mediterranean - 2012
Year of the Mediterranean - 2012

We have been saying it for years, but it just keeps getting better and better. This is the year to take a Mediterranean cruise.

Stromboli volcano in the Mediterranean Sea is just one of the wonders in this part of the world

If you are a regular cruiser but haven't noticed the prices of Mediterranean cruises you don't know what you are missing. You can pick almost any cruise line you want and find extraordinary deals this year. Of course, we all know what you are just about to ask. "What about the airfare?"

Consider this - October is one of the nicer months to visit the Mediterranean because the weather has cooled and the tourist trade has thinned out; making much easier for you to get the best seats on tours and beds in hotels. But even better, as I peruse Priceline right now for roundtrip air tickets from JFK to Barcelona, I am seeing roundtrip tickets as low as $756 per person.

Read more: Year of the Med 2012
Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Default weather
I read Oct is a good time to go beings it cooled down, how cool is cool? Oct 27 to November 20th what would the casual dress be?
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 08-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Mid-70's in late October dwon to high 50's--low 60's in late November.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Lesson learned, I just went to the Med and June and July. It was so hot at times it was hard to take. In Malta one day it hit 104 and we felt it ! I want to go back but it will be Oct or Nov or ealry spring. Oh, and the crowds at times too were something to ponder.
Boy the low 60's sound great to me LOL

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 AM

I did the Mediterranean in the first week of December time frame and it was great weather.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM
We went to the Med the first time in the last week of July through the first week of August; never again. We were awestruck seeing things in person that we have been looking at in pictures all our lives; but the heat and the crowds really drained us. Early Spring or late Fall are much better.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:24 AM
f-mattox.
I felt like that in Rome. The Vatican Museum was so crowded and no air, I felt like I got pushed thru it all and really didn't get to see much or savor the experience. You couldn't really stop and look at certain pieces the guide was really just walking thru and people were pushing you thru.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Administrator

We went during the month of April and it was great. My main reason for choosing April rather than the summer was because I tend to get bad headaches when the air temperature is hot, and that's no way to spend a vacation! There were areas that were still crowded (Trevi Fountain comes to mind) and it was too cool to enjoy the beach in Palma de Mallorca, yet it was a great time to go, overall. No other big ships in port, either.

baby doll, from the average temperatures from weather.com for Rome, it appears that late October and November are great, with average highs in the 60s to low 70s Fahrenheit. Low temperatures in the 40s-50s, but those are overnight, when you'd be on the ship. This is pretty much what we had in April a couple of years ago. When going ashore, we wore jeans or khakis, short-sleeved shirt, and light jacket...and, most importantly, comfortable walking shoes. The jacket and pants are also perfect as you'll need to have shoulders and knees covered to enter most places of worship.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:42 PM

A couple of thoughts about the topics. The weather in the Med (which covers a huge area) varies considerably from place to place. For example, Rome can be very hot and humid on a summer day wheras it might be delightful on one of the Greek Islands.

Regarding the post about getting "pushed" through the Vatican....that is a problem with many excursions (especially cruise ship excursions) where they have ambitious itineraries and must keep to a schedule. We have been through the Vatican multiple times and are never "pushed" because we simply go on our own. When you make a choice to take tours you get what you get! When you do it on your own (or book a private tour) you can set your own pace and agenda.

As to October/November weather (we will be in the Med this Oct and Nov) it really depends on where you are and a bit of luck. It can be comfortably warm in much of the Med during those months (we have been in Barcelona in early Dec when it was in the high 60s) or it can be chilly. One nice thing is that its outside the normal "season" so things are not as crowded. The downside is that you are probably not going to be swimming on the Riviera or even on Mykonos.

Hank

Tags
costa, cruise, cruises, mediterranean, mesa, novemeber, october, reviews, sea, ship, temperature, time, visit, weather, year