Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Split, Croatia (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/38241-split-croatia.html)

janfred 07-04-2012 05:50 PM

Split, Croatia

Can someone suggest a tour here?

alexandra cruiser 07-05-2012 06:20 AM

This city is VERY easy to see on own

just get a guidebook,,,can walk right to Palace from port(few blocks only),,,lots to see and do and then pick and chose what you want to do after.

We were there 6 hrs...and barely got to see it all.

There is a tour bus(sort of HOHO) that is at dock area(not sure of times,but can google) that will also take you around.But most of city is pedestrian only,,,but some like it to see outskirts of city.

Also,,google tourism in Split and you can see how compact it is (Old town) ...LOVED this city and wish I d had more time there.

janfred 07-05-2012 04:31 PM

Alexandra Cruiser,
Thank you so much, you have been such a help in the pass too. I was also wondering if you knew anything of the Dalmatian Coast? I have gotten all my excursions for this cruise but Croatia is a bit of a mystery to me. I have read a lot about it but you always wonder what you should not miss when you only have 1 day :OD

alexandra cruiser 07-06-2012 08:51 AM

What ports are you going to?

We did Venice to Dubrovnik and stopped at small islands and ports...such as Hvar,Koper,Piran,plus Split.

Spent 3 days in Dubrovnik,,,and still didnt see it all,,,we walked the city wall,,went to beach near there,,,saw all the tourist sites in Old Town...missed the funicular up hill(not opened yet). It was just fantastic,,but full of tourists during day...and quiet at nite.Try to get out of old town area and walk up hill to beach,,and great small seaside restaurants that not so crowded..Easy to do on own.

In general,,easy area to see on own and love just walking small ports and discovering ...unless you want to see some of countryside...the people that took shore excursions,,loved them,,but did not have time to see the port.So, a tradeoff.PS..everyone speaks some English.A spectacular cruise...water so blue and cliffs,beaches,SO pretty.

janfred 07-06-2012 04:10 PM

Alexandra Cruiser,
Thank you again. I am so excited to go to Croatia. I want to see it all of course but will have to make a choice soon....I am going to ponder all weekend :OD We are only going to Split in Croatia but we are also going to Kotor, Montenegro and Malta is also on this one. The rest of the stops I am some what familar with like Sicily (Messina) Rome, Naples of course and Venice. I just got back from one on Princess and I wanted so bad to go to Rome to see the Vatican etc (crowds, lines and heat got the best of me) so this time I am going off the beaten path to Tarquinia. Naples I just have to go back to the Amalfi Coast I love it and this time I will see Sorento too. Any miore advice ?? I love your help :OD

alexandra cruiser 07-07-2012 09:38 AM

Love Venice and Naples too..

my fathers family was actually born in a nearby town. We took the hydrofoil to Capri and walked around,had fantastic lunch,,but missed the Blue Grotto due to poor weather.As you know,,,Naples can have sort of a "rough" reputation,,but my limited Italian and looks?? may have helped me fit in and love it. We rented a car and explored Sorrento on our own,,on a sort of "roots" tour.But the driving is CRAZY...would nt do that again...
Venice,,LOVE LOVE LOVE it...there 2 days last June and used the people mover and vaparettos to get around.Went to some of the small islands...much less touristy.
Sorry you missed the Vatican,,,we actually SAW the pope,,from a great distance.Saw all the famous sites and even lit a candle for my father in a small private chapell.I m not even Catholic,,but was very impressed...
We always google tourism site in each town,,,then figure out what WE want to see.Even take shore excursions if a good deal.Also,,take a lot of HOHO buses.
Any particular questions,,let me know...will try to help...have FUN>

janfred 07-07-2012 01:04 PM

Aleandra Cruiser

Lots of great information..thanks

what is the people mover and vaparettos in Venice? We are going to go to the 3 Islands there. I did get to the Vatican Museum, St Peter's and the Sistine Chapel and of course the Colosseum. It was rough however with the thousands of people and the heat OMG I sort of felt I got rushed and pushed thru most of it :O(.

alexandra cruiser 07-08-2012 07:48 AM

To answer..

vaparettos are water taxi s.
people mover is elevated train from port to St.Marks square.
can google each for maps and info.
Have fun on islands,,we loved Murano..
Glad you did get to Vatican.
Let us know how it all goes.

janfred 07-08-2012 02:07 PM

Thank you again, I sure will let you know when we get back. I am picking out my last excursion now :OD

LuizzeOliveira 10-29-2012 03:33 AM

Split is a city of Split-Dalmatia County and it is second biggest city of Croatia. Here Mestrovic Gallery is more popular because it contain number of works of Ivan Mestrovic. Then it\'s Museum of Croatian Archaeological Monuments, Marjan Forest Park, Archaeological Museum of Split, People\'s Square and The Church of St Dominic are also popular places to visit.