Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Europe Port Chat (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/)
-   -   Arrival at katakolo port on 26/7/2012 (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/europe-port-chat/38268-arrival-katakolo-port-26-7-2012-a.html)

david_49 07-16-2012 10:24 AM

Arrival at katakolo port on 26/7/2012

Hello, I will be arriving at Katakolo port in Greece on the 26/7/2012 onboard the Norwegian Jade, is it possible for someone to give me information about taxi rentals in the area as well as prices? Thank you

Hank 07-18-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_49 (Post 294371)
Hello, I will be arriving at Katakolo port in Greece on the 26/7/2012 onboard the Norwegian Jade, is it possible for someone to give me information about taxi rentals in the area as well as prices? Thank you

There will be a few taxis at the port, but keep in mind its first come first serve. Depending on a taxi is always a bit risky since there is no guarantee you will even get a taxi and the fares are negotiable and dictated somewhat by supply and demand. The price you pay will be dependent on how many hours (and miles) and your negotiating skill....but you can easily spend over 100 Euros. I guess the question is what you want a taxi to do? If you simply want to go to Olimpia you could probably do that much cheaper by train (not sure of the current train schedule). For simply driving around and exploring the region we personally prefer to simply rent a car. If you do want a car I provide you with the name and link to a local rental car company that is located a 5 min walk from the ship.

Hank

david_49 07-19-2012 02:30 AM

Thank you Hank for the information, I'm not sure I can rent a car though cos my driver's licence is american. I think hiring a taxi might be the best option since I want to explore the region and not simply go there.

Hank 07-21-2012 07:37 PM

A valid US drivers license is all you need to rent a car in Greece. We have rented many times in Greece with no problems. Technically, you should have an International Drivers Permit (available at any AAA office) although nobody will ask for that when you rent a car. In the event that you would get stopped by a cop it is possible (but not likely) that he/she would want to see that International Drivers Permit. As I said, they are available at any AAA and cost $15. You can certainly hire a taxi for the day if you find a taxi.....and there is no guarantee that a taxi driver will speak much English. Of course the cost would be negotiable and can run into the hundreds of Euros.

Hank

penny3333 08-01-2012 10:58 AM

Hank, I really appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share. If I ever can afford to go there, I am certainly going to PM you before I get there.

Hank 08-01-2012 02:59 PM

It all falls under the category of giving back. When we first started doing international travel (over forty years ago) there were some people that were very kind and took the time to give us a lot of help and advice. These days its fun to help others and we still get a lot of payback when folks give us help when we go to new places.

Hank