Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Default Naples, Italy
DH and I will be going to Naples sometime next spring to visit our son and his family. I don't even know where to start to plan sightseeing. Our DIL said they just did a USO sponsored tour of the Vatican for much less than the prices I've seen on the Internet for other tour groups. Hopefully, that will be an option for us when we go.

I also want to see Pompeii and so many other places I can't even remember them all. I know I won't be able to visit them all in ten days.

So, what do others suggest for Italian must sees using Naples as home base? We do have some HH points we can use for hotel stays. We are not time sharing so are not confined in that regard. I might be able to squeeze some vacation dollars for local hotels if a Hilton property is not available.

Any tour guide recommendations? We don't want to rent a car. We don't speak Italian. I plan to try to learn some between now and then but the old brain just doesn't retain as much these days.

Many thanks for your insights and suggestions.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 AM

Thumbs up Here s where I d start,,first get a good guidebook
and also google tourism in Naples...If you don t want to rent a car,,,get a good guide(check out references,etc).use internet sites to find hotel(or use your points).
We had a car for out of town trips,,but its a hassle in city,crowded and no parking.
We took boat to Capri for one day,drove to Pompei,,saw Vatican when in Rome(its a long ride for 1 day tour).
Lovely city,, I tried to speak Italian,,and most answered back in broken English(and we used a lot of hand signals,,haha).Naples can get a bad rap,,,but we loved its "gritty,lived in"feel.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Guess we could take a wild guess and assume your son is connected with the military. Since your son (and family) will be living in the area they are going to be a good resource for info..since its amazing how much you learn about a place in a short time. Many places in the area such as Pompeii and Herculanium can easily be reached by train or regional buses. Other places such as Capri, Sorrento, Ischia, etc can be reached by jetboat/hydrofoils. Not knowing Italian is not a major problem (we have spent many months in Italy including driving more then 10,000 miles within the country without speaking Italian) since many Italians speak and understand some English.

The one place you will need a car, be it a rental or a car/driver is the wonderful Amalfi Coast where you find places like Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. There are some excellent tour companies but it is quite expensive to hire your own driver/guide for a day unless you have a few others to split the cost. A full day tour can easily cost over 350 Euros. One highly recommended tour company is called Rome In Limo (Romeinlimo.com) and you can certainly look at their web site to get ideas. There are quite a few other reputable tour companies so you can certainly shop around. Although we understand you are visiting family in Naples you might want to consider spending a few nights in other parts of Italy. Besides Rome (already mentioned in another post) we strongly recommend visiting Florence and some of the surrounding area (Tuscany).

Hank
Old 09-14-2012, 06:03 AM
abynes 258....Don't forget to give the "hop on/hop off" (hoho's) bus tours worthy consideration...They are quite reasonable and inexpensive...they are a great way to see the sites on your own...at your own pace. Outfits such as Viator allow you to book well in advance and offer multi-day packages!!!

BillyBuzzy
Old 09-18-2012, 01:07 PM

We have never been big Hop on Hop off fans for a variety of reasons but you are right that many travelers do love the things. But in the case of the OP the HoHos are not much help. For example, the various Naples HoHo buses (at $28 per ticket) are only good for local travel. They are of no use for folks wanting to go to Herculanium, Pompeii, Capri, Ischia, etc. Since the overwhelming majority of cruisers prefer to leave the Naples environs for other places the HoHo is not helpful. As to Rome, we find it much easier (and a lot cheaper) to use our feet and perhaps add in a couple of trips on the fast Metro. Since one can purchase a BIRG ticket for 12 Euros in Civitavecchia, and that single ticket covers round trip train transportation between the port and Rome plus all days unlimited use of Rome's buses (not including the HoHo) and Metro. Using the HoHo would add nearly $60 to the cost for a couples day and you can spend a lot of valuable time waiting for the next bus, sitting in traffic, etc.

Hank
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 AM

Well, I like journey and I have seen so many best places in the world. Before 2 years I had gone for Asian trip and last year I had gone for Europe trip and that was very nice experience for me. Nepal is South Asian country which is more popular as a trekking place. Kathmandu is capital and biggest city of Nepal which boasts many historical and royal places. Where as Italy is a Southern European country which has so many attraction points to visit and it is main attraction point of Italy. It's Capital Rome is most beautiful city.

Last edited by LisaP; 10-29-2012 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Advertising link removed, per Forum Rules

Tags
attractions, car, cruise, cruze, family, forum, guides, hand, hire, italy, naples, powered, signals, travel, vbulletin