Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:52 AM

Default Eastern or Western Med? Line? Ship?
First time post, please be gentle...I am looking to book a Mediterrean cruise for June of 2013 for 5 adults. All have cruised before (Carribbean). I am looking for guidance as to lines, ships, and/or itineraries. Thanks in advance for any help...I should mention, we have cruised Carnival and RC in the past

Last edited by tastg82; 09-25-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: omission
Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't think you can beat Princess Cruises' Grand Mediterranean itinerary as an introduction to Mediterranean cruising. You get a sampling of both Eastern and Western Med in 12 days from Barcelona to Venice, or the reverse; and you get many of the highlights of the Med: Florence and Pisa, Rome, Venice, Istanbul, Athens and much more. And next year you have a choice of Ruby Princess or the new Royal Princess. I think this itinerary on a new Princess ship would by the cruise of a lifetime.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
tastg82
f-mattax is correct I did the Grand Mediterranean in Jun on the Ruby and the itinerary was fantastic. I went back in July on Celebrity Silhouette and hit a few of the same locations but went to Croatia, Sicily, Malta and Montenegro. Which is better ?
It would have to be what places you were wanting to see more and a very very hard choice because I loved them both ! Silhouette of course is a new ship.

Cruise Countdown Tickers
Old 10-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Having spent more then a year cruising and traveling in the Med we will not make any recommendation. The reason is that this part of the world is very diverse and different ports/itineraries will please different types of folks. Cruising the Med is all about itinerary! The ship and cruise line are much less important (unlike in the Caribbean) because you will often have long port days, folks tend to go to be earlier, and the ports are what its all about. If you are interested in ancient ruins you want a cruise that goes to Naples (for Pompeii) and perhaps Kusadasi (for Ephesus). If you like sun and sand you might want to think about the Greek Islands. Consider squeezing in the longest trip possible (because it costs you so much to get there) and think about a cruise that begins and ends in different ports where you might be able to extend your trip by spending some time on land at both ends.

Hank

Tags
celebrity, chats, cruise, eastern, mediterranean, nicer, reviews, western