Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Port Chat > Europe Port Chat
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Default Russia
this is likely silly..but I have very elderly parents who are in a frenzy because of my up coming trip to Northern Europe..my paranoid mother is insisting Russia is dangerious..she is coming up with these absurd stories and is begging me to cancel before my committment in 3 weeks is firm... I told her I would inquire with "expert" travelers just to shut her up. so....is it safe to cruise to St Petersburg at this point in time?
Old 03-10-2014, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Perfectly safe. Despite what is going on with the political issues in the Crimea and Ukraine, Putin isn't going to play little games with tourists from cruise ships like some tin-pot dictator. If the State Department issues a travel warning, then you'll know it could be a problem.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:01 PM

The cruise lines aren't going to take passengers into an unsafe situation. If they thought it was unsafe they'd be pulling all the ships out of that location. You can check the State Department website for travel Alerts & Warnings. Currently the only Warnings has to do with the Olympics in Sochi. You can register with the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program register here and they will alert you if there is any change.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Ditto to the above posts. Also, Ukraine is quite far from Saint Petersburg. I went last year and would go again without hesitation as there have been no warnings issued for the area.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 AM

Wink
Thank you all..I will be showing her the posts. I likely solved the issue by also coming up with a trip to Thailand that really freaked her out....so the above posts will I am sure really help calm her down about my current itinerary. NOTE: I am 50! she's too much! LOL
Old 03-11-2014, 11:54 AM

You might also want to mention that you won't be wandering around on your own (assuming you haven't gotten your own visa for Russia), that you'll be with a government sanctioned tour group at all times. She may like the idea of "safety in numbers."

Speaking of being 50, my mom told me once that she had a friend who was 75 years old, and every time it rained, her 97 year old mother would call her to tell her to wear her galoshes that day! Once a mom, always a mom...

Tags
affecting, conflicts, crimea, cruise, current, implication, iteneraries, petersburg, russia, russian, safe, ship, ships, st, traveling, turmoil, ukrain